Questions about bees...

Tracylhl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I bought 5 acres last Sept. and we immediately found a big hill of trees, limbs, etc, that the previous owner had mounded up and left in the middle of the forest. We basically figured that we'd have to have it professionally removed when money allowed and built a chicken coop next to it. Shortly thereafter, my kids figured out that there is a bee hive in it. The bees come and go but have left my kids and chickens alone and everyone was happy. Well, yesterday one of the kids ran up the hill following a wayward chicken and the bees came out to defend themselves. Kid was fine, chicken started dancing like I've never seen so I think she got stung. So... we've been wanting to start a domestic hive for honey, wax, and pollenation.

Today I called a "bee expert" who supposedly does live transfers and who is working with the biggest university in the state to learn bee habits and stuff. Supposedly. Basically, he told me that all wild hives much be killed and that keeping domestic bees is "not some little hobby". He obviously took me for a flippant, uneducated woman and nothing makes me more mad! He informed me (actually, I already had read) that in our state (Florida) you must be licensed, examined annually, and a bunch of other buearacratic hoops to keep bees legally. I KNOW that some hives can be transferred. I don't know anyone locally that keeps bees, though, so I don't know who to turn to for help. I guess I can call those on the state licensing list that are nearby me and beg pity.

What I'm wondering is whether it's really as difficult as this guy made it sound or whether any of you have done it. Also, do you register with the state where you are or have you adopted a "don't ask don't tell" policy? I do realize that aggressive African bees are one variety that are present in my area and realize that I wouldn't want to keep them but I really don't believe that that's what I have here. They seem much more likely to be something more docile.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My neighbor's first bee hive a few years ago abandoned him for the nice crook of a tree by our barn. He paid to get the transfer done, and while I didn't take part, it looked relatively painless and simple (of course, they were professionals). I don't think you need a license in Oregon....

Have you looked into native pollinators though? My Grandma has some neat "bee tubes" for native varieties... I don't think they give honey, but she gets wax at the end of the season and they pollinate the plants really well. Especially native plants, which makes sense. I doubt you'd need a license for native types, as you don't buy them. You just make the housing and give some food and they settle in. Just an idea. ;)

Good luck! :)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sorry you had such a bad experience with the bee guy. i would agree that beekeeping isn't "some little hobby" but not in the way he probably meant it. it's a lot more work than a lot of people imagine (not you particularly, but a lot) and you can easily get super involved really quickly, like with most things we are interested in on this forum! but that is NO REASON to be deterred! if anything, it's a plus in my book.

live transfer aren't that difficult, but they can be super intimidating for a first timer. i was terrified the first time i did it and got myself stung- the fault was most definitely mine on that one. but if you go about it calmly and smartly, live transfer is not only pretty easy, it's hugely beneficial. one of the main problems with commercial bees is limited gene pool, just like with other commercialized animals. collecting a swarm is the single best way to inject fresh bloodlines. plus, those bees are going to already be accustomed to your specific environment! they will be hardier than purchased bees and they will already know their foraging grounds!

most areas have a beekeepers association that isn't affiliated with the state or a university- mostly dedicated "amateurs." those are the people i would try to find. they are usually SUPER informed and very eager to help.

we don't have to register here, so i don't really know the ins and outs of that. again, i would talk to the locals. for a small personal set-up (like a hive or two) i'd say most people turn a blind eye. but then again, as you said, it could be an Africanized bee issue. maybe they are wanting registration of hives so they can monitor the population better... in that case, i'd want to be involved.

anyway, don't let that one negative Nancy discourage you. bees are amazing, exciting, and rewarding. go for it!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
A few years ago I got bees by collecting the wild swarm that landed in our lemon tree.
I had been educating myself on beekeeping for some time, so I was happy about the opportunity. I used makeshift everything, since we did not have any supplies for keeping bees. Once I had them contained in a box with haphazard homemade frames, I started purchasing the necessary equipment starting with a beekeepers vail. There was certainly more to keeping bees and I was learning on the go. We also have a beekeeping or apiary club in our area. I know several of the members and pumped them for information.

We do not have to report to any government agency.

My bees swarmed and left before the year was out, I think I got an ant infestation.

Many beekeepers feel that wild bees are a better bee, even though they may be africanized. They are more resilient to the various diseases that affect "domesticated" bees.

Around here the only way to get bees is to capture a swarm or buy a hive from someone.

You might check your library for books on beekeeping and also check for places that sell beekeeping supplies to get in touch with other beekeepers in your area.

I hope to get bees again this year. It was worth the work, just to have them pollinate our fruit and vegetables, but I really would also like to get the honey and wax. And I really enjoyed it.

ETA I am definitely a level 1 amateur beekeeper ;) So you might get better info from some more experience members on this forum.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
and check your local extension office for a class

personally i woulda told that guy to ...well.. just use your imagination.

my hubby started with bees last summer and no its not that big of a whoop. there are things you have to know and the whole bee-die-off thing make it more complicated.

but if you have chickens and kids, for heavens sakes you can keep bees!

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
check the internet to see if there is a bee club close to you and try contacting them for a possible mentor to ask about the bees. that guy isn't worth your time. the bee people around here are really nice and enthusiastic about everyone learning about bees. Good luck. Bee classes are starting here this month and next- maybe give them a try and meet some nice people.

A friend/ neighbor put a hive in our backyard. We have kids and dogs, neighbors have kids. And some of our garden boxes are right out there so I'm out there a lot. Only casualty was our nosiest beagle dog- he came in panting with hives one day. the bee keeper said they get crabby on rainy days so I give them plenty of room when it rains, plus I make sure I don't surprise them- I don't approach the hive from the side and I move slowly. the bee keeper said that the bees can recognize the "regulars" around their hive- I thought that was really amazing.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
but if you have chickens and kids, for heavens sakes you can keep bees!
I think this comment wins our Friday Smartest-Thing-I-Ever-Heard award!

You tell 'em like it is OFG!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
(walks up to stage to accept reward)

yes thank you, thank you very much. i didnt think i would actually WIN but i do have these few notes prepared (pulls out 30 pages, single spaced, double sided)

first i would like to thank..... (goes on and on... music starts, statue girl pulls me off stage)

:)