Questions for Homeschoolers

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I would like to market my day time kids cooking lessons to homeschool groups.

Can anyone here give me some understanding of what you typically look for in extra curricular activities?

I would be charging about $25 for a 2 hour class and it will be a 6 part series. I would love feed back form anyone here before I begin marketing!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Are you saying your class will be $25 for 2 hours times 6 lessons making it $150??

I think if I were to send my kid to a class I would want him to walk out knowing how to do something on his own. Like make a cake completely on his own afterwards. Or cook a simple pasta dish like speghetti with a side dish and bread.
On the other hand a fun class would be nice too. Like decorating cupcakes or cookies; making fun cut out cookies.

(As a side note as a homeschooling mom my kids know who to put a meal on the table already...start to finish without my help. They will even pick it out with no input from me. They can also make several desserts without my help.)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yes, $150 for the series of 6 classes and yes they will walk away with recipes and the hands-on experience of making the meal from start to finish.

This would be for kids ages 10+. They will learn kitchen basics (safety and sanitation) knife skills, and the techniques to support each recipe used (which will vary but will include... baking, roasting, stove top cooking, sauces, salad dressings etc.)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I think the price will depend on your market. I used to work at a cooking school that offers kids' classes. The kids do the actual making, cooking, and eating of menu. They also get a recipe book to take home with them, so they can re-create the meals at home.

Here are some examples of classes & prices that might help you with ideas.

**1 day class for kids only (no parents allowed)
Class - Kid Fun Food
Cost: $25 per child
Length of class - 2 hrs
Hands-on class For ages 6-12
Menu:
Banana Crepes
Ham & Cheese Focaccia Panini
Chilli 'n Pasta
Hot Cocoa with Chocolate Ice Cream

**1 day class for adult(s) and kid(s)
Class - Tots in Toques - Pasta
Cost: $45 for each parent & first child; $25 add'l child
Length of class - 1.5 hrs
Hands-on class For ages 3-6
Menu:
Homemade Cavatelli
Tomato Cream Sauce
Lemon Cookies
Note: fee includes a chef's toque for each child

**1 day class for adult(s) and kid(s)
Class - Cooking with Kids - Grandparents Day
Cost: $45 for each grandparent & first child; $25 add'l child
Length of class - 2 hrs
Hands-on class For ages 6-12
Menu:
Cheese Breadsticks
Potato Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce and Meatballs
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Note: for this class, a grandma & 1 child would pay $45; grandpa with 1 child would pay $45; grandma & 2 kids = $70; class is not limited to grandparents - could be adult sibling (over 18) with younger child or aunts, uncles, parents.

Class - Tweens Hawaiian Vacation
Cost: $35 per child
Length of class - 2 hrs
Hands-on class For ages 10-14
Menu:
Mini Coconut Shrimp Cakes
Grilled Chicken with Tropical Salsa
Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Class - Teens Pizza
Cost: $45 per child
Length of class - 2.5 hrs
Hands-on class For ages 14-18
Menu:
Sausage Stromboli
Veggie White Pizza
Margherite
Southwestern
Chocolate Pizza for dessert

**3 class series for kids only (no parents allowed)
Class - Jr Chef
Cost: $95 per child
Length of class - each class is 2 hrs
Hands-on class For ages 9-14
These kids only classes will feature full menus prepared by the students. In these classes students will learn table settings, nutrition, proper cooking techniques, safe use of kitchen utensils/knives, menu planning and more. Students should wear long pants, closed toe non-skid shoes, and hair pulled back. Students must register for the entire series.
Note: fee includes a cooking school apron for each child

**4 class series for kids only (no parents allowed)
Class - Cooking Camp - Ciao Italy
Cost: $195 per child
Length of class - each class is 3 hrs
Hands-on class For ages 8-12

Menu Day 1 - Pizza Magic
White Cheese Pizza
Tomato Mozzarella (we will be making our own) Pizza
Breadsticks with Dipping Sauce
Calzone
Dessert Pizza

Menu Day 2 - Perfect Homemade Pasta & Sauces
Bow Tie with Cream Sauce
Fettuccini with Bolognese Sauce
Cavatelli with Pomodoro Sauce

Menu Day 3 - Panini, Soup, Salad & Dessert
Prosciutto & Cheese Panini
Panzanella Tomato Salad
Lasagna Soup
Chocolate Biscotti

Menu Day 4 - Breakfast
Strawberry Smoothies
Sticky Buns with Cream Cheese Frosting
Potato Frittata
Nutella Crepes
Note: Each day, students will explore a different theme as they learn cooking through hands-on classes. The children will prepare, cook and eat everything made in class. Students must register for the entire series. Fee includes a cooking school T-shirt for each child.

edited for typo and clarity

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I would think that most homeschooling parents would already have their kids doing stuff with them in the kitchen, so you might need to find some unique angle on it, especially for that price.

Maybe get in touch with a homeschooling group in your area so you could find out what your actual audience would be interested in?

Good luck,

Pat

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I am always trying to get my kids to eat more veggies so you may try something interesting with veggie/vegetarian dishes or even try different classes for different ethnic cooking so that could tie in with a cultural lesson the parents could do. Like doing an all mexican menu or an all korean menu or chinese, or thai, or french, etc.

That might be something a little more interesting for the kids and you could do a dual class for them with the parents. Throw in some interesting cultural facts for each one. You could even do a 6 week series and call it "Cooking Around the World" or something like that!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Maybe offer a certificate of completion especially for the older kids to prove like a home ec credit. Although for our HS group it would be a little steep in price as they are one income families. Just a little thought. Plus I get my ds in the kitchen helping me cook so he is learning to cook with me all the things he loves to eat(& then some).