Quick chicken stock question???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last time I made stock I did not skim the fat. I actually read the direction this time and they said to cool, skim, then reboil before canning.

Is this necessary?

The last broth was very rich and I liked the fat rolling into the dish being prepared.

What do you think??

g

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Last time I made stock I did not skim the fat. I actually read the direction this time and they said to cool, skim, then reboil before canning.

Is this necessary?

The last broth was very rich and I liked the fat rolling into the dish being prepared.

What do you think??

g
Those that skim, lose out on lots of nutrition, all in the name of eating "lowfat" ;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I thought. I know its nice to save some of the fat for cooking and such. But right now I just need to get this stock canned and move on. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again,

gina

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Are you pressure canning it? I always wondered the same thing, do you really have to skim the fat off to pressure can the broth?

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't skim, I love my fat. Usually have to wash the jar down so some must escape but all have sealed correctly.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
One really nice option, is to reduce the stock till its thick, and then freeze it in ice cube trays.
It takes up very little space this way, and you do nto heat damage the stock.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Glad that is part of the psychotic low fat movement, not a requirement to can. :gig

Although I can imagine grandparents passing down to skim it because they used the fat to cook.

*tries to imagine grandparents*

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just make sure you use a bit of vinegar on the towel you wipe the jar top with before you put the lid on; the vinegar cleans up any fat that might be on there that would interfere with the lid setting.

I do skim a little of the fat before I can - just what I can get after I've strained out all the solids. Mostly cuz I don't bother running it through cheesecloth. I should do that next time though.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
my jars seem to do better if i skim SOME of the fat. but i just put it in a tub and freeze it for other uses.

:)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok Im back.. We went to MIL to celebrate dh Grandfathers 86th bday.

Thanks for the replies. I have pressure canned my broth both ways before. Once I refrigerated it over night and spooned off most of that beautiful fat to save. This and the time past I am in just to much of a hurry.

I did wipe the jars with a really hot clean towel to insure a good seal. I was just doing pints so the whole process was really quick.

If I had had more time to refrigerate and wait I may have saved some for using on veggies and such. Maybe next time.

So here's the breakdown. I bought 20 bucks worth of chicken breast ribs attached @ .89 cents per pound. I had no idea how much I could fit in a quart. Turns out when filling them with cooked cubed chicken they hold about a pound. I thought they would hold a bunch more. I canned 6 quarts and used two fresh. At 89 cents a pound it was an ok deal. But then I used all the trimmings, rib bones etc. to make stock. I ended up with 12 beautiful golden pints. So that makes my 20 dollar investment go much further.

Next question. The bones and stock stuff. Do you feed your dogs cooked chicken bones? Or would you just throw the pile out for the hens to pick over? Lots of carrots, celery, and some onions.

Not sure what they do with bones. Will they choke?

Anyways, that's how my stock went.

g