quick pickles

hensdeliverthegoods

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If, after eating all the pickles in that store-bought jar you have plenty of pickle juice left over, don't throw it out. Simply put in enough of your favorite pickling veggies so that the liquid barely covers, and put back in the refrigerator. In just a short while, they'll be pickled! :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Alas it would never work for me - I *drink* the leftover pickle juice (mmmm) or use it in chicken salad :p

That's how you do pickled beets, though -- except you have to add a bit more vinegar every time or two, and sometimes more spices. But otherwise you just keep reusing the juice. Just gets purpler and purpler <g>

Pat

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
;) I forgot to add that I do save my pickle juice but use it in my potato salad.

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Since I got one brand of pickles that I love the taste of but can you "recycle" the juice for your own canning pickles????????????

Not sure if it is safe or the taste will be awful due to the cooking process.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
EweSheep said:
Since I got one brand of pickles that I love the taste of but can you "recycle" the juice for your own canning pickles????????????

Not sure if it is safe or the taste will be awful due to the cooking process.
That's an interesting thought. I would guess that it could be done IF YOU ADD MORE VINEGAR (because the fresh cukes or whatever you put in will be bringing water with them that'll dilute the saved juice, quite likely past the point of being acidic enough for safety). However I would be cautious doing it -- at the very least, you would want to do an ACCURATE pH test on the first batch you make to decide whether to keep it. And that probably oughta be measured AFTER processing. Unfortunately, to accurately determine pH may require access to lab equipment -- the happy little dip-strips etc are not necessarily going to be accurate enough, unless they tell you you're WAY plenty acid enough. So I am not sure how practical it is for most people to do this in a botulism-safe way. It's a personal choice, at that point.

Interesting idea, tho :)

Pat

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You are all people after my own heart, I reuse pickle juice also.
And I would probably use pickle juice for my own pickles with the added vinegar, but I wouldn't can them I would just let them soak the juice for a week or two and then eat them.
If I was canning I would make a huge batch anyway.
lin

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
you know what might be good - warm the pickle juice up, then pour it over thinly sliced onion, store in fridge and eat gradually over the next week or so.

Hmmmm, I may have to try that :p

Pat