Quilts and quilt makers, let's see what you're doing

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I am currently about halfway with quilt #9 and decided to ask if anyone else here shares this wonderful, addictive hobby? An elderly neighbour taught me the "cathedral window" pattern and I'm making all my quilts that way. As I hand stitch everything (I never got the hang of using a sewing machine) I find this pattern easy to work with. Here is my current project, which have gown quite a bit since this pic was taken, and some previous efforts:

IMG_1004.jpg

quilt back.jpg

DSC01612.JPG

quilt 1 copy.jpg

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sumi, they are really beautiful. Unfortunately, my experience with quilts is not in making them, but sleeping under them!

We did a craft show a few years back on a local church grounds where a bunch of Amish woman brought their quilts and hung them throughout the sanctuary and over the pews. It was quite impressive.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those are beautiful, Sumi!!!! :love I love your choice of colors and pattern...you have a good eye for color combinations, IMO.

I've only made two quilts, both large baby quilts and both only hand stitched. The second one was done last year but my hands are so arthritic now that it really hurt to stitch, so it took a long time and every stitch was done in pain... will likely be my last hand stitched quilt. I've always wanted to quilt and do it well, though I'm not very good at it, and I find it to be a beautiful and useful form of art that is quickly dying.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My paternal grandmother used to quilt and crochet all winter. Doilies everywhere! LOL, she canned all summer. Anyway, it was all hand done then. She made a quilt in the "wedding ring" pattern for my dad & mom as a wedding gift. I have that quilt & it's still in great condition (used little & carefully handled/washed). It's 71 yrs old now. Yes, these things are becoming a lost art.

I sewed a LOT, in years past, making clothes for self and family. Now I rarely sew -- should but, just don't. Was really good at it and did several weddings, prom gowns, etc. Clothes are so inexpensive now that most don't want a seamstress, except for occasional alterations. Personally I don't need as many as I could make. My fabric stocks are huge.

Sumi, I love your quilts....the blue is my favorite as it's very calming. And red is my favorite color!

MoonShadows, I sure remember sleeping under those heavy quilts at my maternal gp house.....no insulation in house, unless you count the cardboard, and only potbelly stove in lvgrm and wood stove in kitchen. Wow, best bread from that oven I ever put in my mouth. Certain that those things are why I have the "homesteader" genetics.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Quilting is one of those things I never had time to learn, but I truly admire those who have accomplished the art. Beautiful quilts, Sumi!

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Twinnie quilts! She's completed one blanket, is working on a "puffy" quilt right now and we're co-oping another quilt. Once we're caught up with those two we'll be making a quilt that we're calling the big Jim in honour of our grandfather as well (it's going to made from his clothing)
You have a lot of patience to do it by hand :thwe use the sewing machine as much as humanly possible!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliments, everyone! I would love to see what you've made/are working on at the moment.

@Mini Horses can we see your gran's quilt, please? I know that pattern she used, it's so pretty!

@Beekissed @Myhouseisazoo2 pics, please?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't have any pics of the first one...had them but they are long lost to cyber space. The more recent one I never really took a picture of but it features in some pics I have of my sweety baby napping. Here she is sleeping in the little bed I made for her from a full size head and foot board...turned it into a little daybed.

900x900px-LL-e12e417f_100_3837.jpeg

900x900px-LL-93977cc6_100_3835.jpeg