R.I.P. Nugget

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My buff orp passed away quite suddenly a few weeks ago. She was top bird in my small flock, my little EE was constantly trying to run from her even when Nugget wasn't looking at her. Its our suspicion that a rat snake constricted her or that she got a hold of a nail or something when we were cleaning out our shed which is how we get into the chicken yard. The only thing outwardly wrong was I noticed she had mites around her vent when I looked for wounds, she's been buried and rocks placed over her to keep the stray cats out. I'm looking at another chicken from the same lady I bought my EE from. She has a lot of breeds including copper marans. Anyone have any input as to what breed I should ask about?

side note, is it bad i'd rather come here to ask about a new chicken than BYC? I had a bad experience with someone essentially shaming a new chicken lover for not knowing how to do something.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. It always sucks when something happens. Boo and hiss to anyone who isn't sympathetic.

As for breeds, I'm biases towards the ameraucana, EEs, and silkies so I probably don't have much good imput.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I don't go to BYC. A little too much chicken obsessed shaming of people over there. Some super nice people too but... Yeah...

What other breeds do you have to choose from? Are you looking for primarily good laying, friendly, or pretty to look at? Some combination? I love rare breeds but I know a bit about some more common breeds.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So so sorry for your loss....I hate when they pass on. I think BYC is too large...I don't do large well.....I personally do extreme quietly but not large....

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard that BO's are super sweet chicken. I recently got 5 New Hampshire chicks. They are about a month old and really big compared to the Production reds at that age. They are suppose to be a good dual purpose. My PR's are really good pullets (maybe a little bossy) they are laying almost everyday now but they were 8 months old before they started laying.

I am on BYC but it is my least favorite site. Once a thread I was involved in got really heated after a member berated us for being abusive for letting our chickens free-range. There have been other verbal attacks but I stay clear now. The one thread about the free-ranging was removed quickly after that. I still let my yardbirds free-range and probably will keep on doing that. As soon as my NH are 6 or 8 weeks I will start to integrate them into the flock.

So glad you decided to join us here. It is fun, educational, and my favorite thing FREE! There are so many different aspects of living that is covered by our members. I like all the sister sites but there are a couple like this one I enjoy tremendously. I spend waaay to much time here but oh well.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you lost her :hugs Copper Marans lay the most beautiful eggs, but apart from that I can't tell you much about them… BO are awesome vey sweet birds. RIR and Sussex are good layers and good tempered too. Buckeyes are lovely dual purpose too…