Rabbit nest box from pallet wood

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Rabbits and many other rodents eat their morning poo to replenish their gut of healthy bacteria. I have guess that would be an issue in the nesting box.

Did you have to get untreated pallets to make the box with? Would rabbits chew the box the way my chinchilla's have devoured their house????

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Rabbits and many other rodents eat their morning poo to replenish their gut of healthy bacteria.
Aren't you glad that we don't need to do that? :lol:

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOVE the nest box but I'm partial. lol I have helped make nestboxes before so I can appreciate your handiwork.

I like your design because it is a year 'round nest box. You can use it in summer because of the wird floor. In winter, just cut out a cardboard insert to place in the bottom for added warmth.

You have the right idea for your next litter because air exchange is very important for rabbit health. Keep your doe and her litter in an enclosure w/good air circulation. Ammonia can cause serious health problems very quickly , which, sometimes, they don't bounce back from. There's another reason why the wire nest box bottom is good to have in warm weather. ;)

And.......because I AM a rabbit nerd, wire grid floors do not cause any issue for rabbits eating their cecotrophs. All mine are on wire floors. They are like contortionists and get it right as it comes out. Disgusting and probably a little TMI, but true.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad to hear that they can still chow down.. ick..

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Chickenpotpie. The nest box is made from non-treated pallet wood. Well actually heat treated but to my knowledge this is ok for the aniumals to chew. I understand that they will chew the box but I will just make a new one once they eat this one.

They seem to do well in the box and the doe took all of the fur out once they had their own coats. Box has been taken out and the kits are eating pellets now. All 8 are safe and sound.

Brew

Latest posts