Rabbits vs chickens

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This link helped me learn about sprouting grains:

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7467&p=1

There is a lot there, but it's worth the reading! Here's the short version that I kept, but I didn't keep the author's name - it's in that thread somewhere:

Fill the jar about half full of seeds, grain, whatever. Let it sit overnight. Drain off the water. Rinse, and drain again. Let sit till evening. Rinse, drain. Rinse and drain in the morning. Repeat until it looks like a spider has been busy building a web in there! Lots of roots and shoots. Takes 3 days with wheat, takes 4-5 days with some other grains. Feed to whatever can eat that kind of sprouts. Sprinkle on top of their food, put in separate container, or scatter on the ground instead of scratch.

The trick is finding some grains that have NOT been baked. I bought several bags of scratch that were on a buy one/get one free (ya!!). Sure enough, they won't sprout.
I was using a plastic coffee can to do my sprouting. But I didn't fill it half full, maybe about 1/4. Plenty of room for rinsing and growing that way. I put a scrap of terry towel over the top, secured with a large rubber band. Made it easy to rinse and drain, plus helped keep the grains moist.

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for catering to a dense one! I will look up those sites for sure.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For sprouting, we use wheat, barley, rye, corn...whatever is available at our local feed store. Rather than use a jar, we use a nursery flat...the kind they pack the plants in for carrying about. We have 2; one that has small holes in the bottom for drainage and one with no holes. I soak the grain overnight and then rinse till the water runs clear. Spread the soaked grains in the bottom of the flat with holes and set the whole thing in the flat without holes. Twice a day, I remove the tray with the grains and give it a good rinse. Most will sprout in about 4 to 8 days. When the sprouts are about 4 to 6 inches high, they've formed a nice mat which I remove and toss in the run with the chickens; they go mad for it. You can also feed this to your rabbits and it's just as good for them :) One caution is that you need to be more sparing of corn with rabbits.

I also ferment grains for the chickens; it boosts the nutrition and they need less feed. I use a mix of wheat, corn, barley, oats and beet pulp.

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have both and yes they really do well with each other (chickens LOVE rabbit insides). We live on just a little over an acre and a half and have dogs around as well as cyotes in the area but we seem to make it work. We use everything we can so as not to waste (even restuffed a pillow with some feathers from the last chicken that was processed) and the hubby and I feel that chickens and rabbits are by far the best for small spaces like ours.
Start small and see if it is really for you. Good luck!:thumbsup

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
. . . . . . then rinse till the water runs clear . . . . . Twice a day, I remove the tray with the grains and give it a good rinse . . . . .
I have seen instructions many times on the 'net and most people emphasize the rinsing part. I wonder why. I have sprouted grains for many years and I never rinse. Does it do something that I'm missing out on? I, too, like to use the small plastic garden store flats for making my sprout mats. They're a good size (12"x18"???) for handling and work very well.

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. We have pretty much decided on....Both! Yep, I am happy. Will wait till spring to get chicks and the bunnies. The neighbor across the road isn't one I would ask for advice on chickens. They have this rooster I feel sorry for. They moved him out of the coop and built a very small area for him. And only has like a tarp over part of the enclosure. No place for him to get out of the elements. The other neighbor told me they thought he would crow less if they moved him. I wonder why? He does crow a lot. The other neighbor said he is mean. Well, I would be too. Just would like him, but won't cause I am afraid he would hurt the chicks.

The only thing about the chickens for meat is I hate plucking chickens. HATE it. We could skin them. Hubby sliced up his hands pretty good last time he tried that. I heard something about a chicken plucker. Do any of you know what I am talking about?

Thanks. Appreciate all your help. :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
You can get chicken pluckers. I, however, skin every duck, chicken, rabbit that we slaughter. It is so quick and makes the whole process easier especially since we can our meat anyway.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this is an idea i am kickng around for my rabbits, and a friend of mine built something VERY simalar for her chickens.
4137_2679465_orig.jpg

4137_2003_0101rabbitrypics0004.jpg

you can get the canopies at menards, they are 10X20 and you can also buy the sides. during the fall and winter they have them on sale all the time. i am going to take some of my 5 gal buckets and put the legs in them and fill with cement. and it would be moveable.

my friend made hers with T posts and a tarp and put 3 ft chicken wire around the bottom and welded wire around the top. i will get pics the next time we go over there. she put an old truck topper in it for a shelter. it is much nicer than i am describing it.

but you could put your rabbits in cages. and put wire around it for a chicken coop. and it could be double duty.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and look on utube homemade chicken pluckers. there is one made from a drill. looks easy to make.