milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a loom for making ragrugs? I'm looking for a picture. I'm hoping to make some ragrugs this winter.

If anyone has made ragrugs, I'd like to hear your experiences (yes, I can Google it, but I prefer talking to someone who has actually made them theirselves.)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sorry that I missed this back in November. Dang, I had a loom frame that I found in one of the buildings that I took apart. Hope you found the information that you were looking for.

I just did a community service project where we wove rugs from plastic bags. What we were told is this: at the mission/hospital down in Haiti and they use the plastic, woven rugs as hospital beds. Instead of moving a patient from the operating table to the bare ground, they lay them on the woven plastic rug instead. Depending on the bags that are used, they come out quite colorful.

If I do it again, I will take a picture of the loom for you. It was a very simple frame made of 2x2 wood screwed together. Then at regular 1" intervals on all 4 sides, there was a screw that stuck out about 3/8th of an inch. Same number top/bottom and same number side/side. The number of screws on the sides can be different than the number of screws on the top & bottom.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's just awesome, wyoDreamer. I've read about people making door mats, mats for the homeless, etc from plastic bags, but never your story.
Occasionally through the years, I thought about making a rag rug. Never got it done.

Latest posts