Raisin pie.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just took a raisin pie out of the oven. I wanted pie again, and the rain brought the temp down to the 70's so I scrounged around to see what I could make a pie with....raisins! I'll let ya know how it is. Anyone make raisin pie?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If it is just like pecan pie but sub in the raisins for the pecans, yes, I've made it. It is great! (if yo like raisins everyone else inthis family prefers pecans, so pecan pie it is.

It is 11:30 and you are just taking pie out of the oven? wow, my day ends at 9pm, then it is chill time. :cool:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is the only time it is cool enough to turn the oven on. We don't have AC, just in the bedroom and there is a unit in the livingroom for emergency use only. :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Gotcha!! Actually, it cooled off here--after being in the triple digits for about a month and a half, it is actually 70F tonight, only supposed to go up to 76F tomorrow. But pies are a fall and winter thing here--enjoy your pie. While I LOVE pecan, I do enjoy a raisin pie every now and again.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is the recipe, I didn't type in the crust instructions. I typed into my files the info I needed, so it is not EXACTLY as it appeared on the site. I used my lard/chevre/ww crust that I've been experimenting with. I didn't have the patience to make it pretty.

Raisin Pie

I c sugar
2 T flour
1 c cold water
2 c raisins
tsp salt
tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter

Pie crust

In a sauce pan, stir together sugar and flour. Add water and mix well. Stir in raisins, salt, and cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in butter.

Proceed as for any pie.

Some online comments:

Double the cinnamon
Add more raisins
Use half cranberries

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=124454&origin=detail&&Servings=6
I did double the cinnamon...or more. That amount of sugar, with raisins, sounded choking so I used about 1/4 cup and it was still too much. Next time, NO sugar at all will be better, probably still too sweet and I'll be wanting to add a diced apple or two.

DH doesn't like raisins and was grumbling about my choice. I told him to stick a fork in the middle and take a bite, if he liked it he could have a slice, if not...."More for you" he grumbled. Yep. This is what I found when I went into the kitchen not five minutes later:

raisinpie003.jpg