Random Act of Kindness

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today I got a text from a new friend, who is a 25 year old school teacher, expecting her first child. Wanted to know if I knew anyone who would want a muscovy drake. Well, I have a cousin who has been asking for one for years...to eat. So I'm trying to put them together, but while I was thinking of her, I began thinking of all the extra male birds she has and decided to offer to assist her in thinning out her animals if she should decide to slaughter. I figured I could offer to give her about 2 hours and we could talk while we pluck and separate the feathers. She is young and I'm not sure she has the stomach to slaughter, but she sure has the animals and I figured it would be nice to have meat instead of animals before the baby shows up.
Well, I told her to think on it. I think it will save her a lot on feed. She is really smart and she likes the stuff I like, so it would be refreshing to spend time with her anyway.
And I need to make a christening dress for a little 8inch doll my godfather's wife trusted me with. I'm late on it, so tonight we eating leftovers, so I can at least get started. The doll was made by her mother and the material is from her deceased, very special friend's wedding dress. Sentamental thing.
How about ALL OF YOU do something really nice for someone this week??? (or next)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a really nice thing. It should help her out a lot having you there.

Even now I have issues doing the killing, but I have no issue doing the butchering. I'd gladly help someone butcher a hundred birds if they would do the killing for me on the few I ever need at a time. My issue probably has a lot to do with my birds being friendly and half pets. The ones I've had that were mean I didn't have an issue with. I even managed to kill my poor wasting rooster who had a paralyzed beak from botulism because it had to be done. Granted I was bawling because he was a pet and I'd spent several days force feeding him trying to save him.

I'm thinking of sending some money to a friend of mine across the country so he can buy a suit that matches. He won't ever ask for anything, even though I know they don't have much and things are tight. He's sent me a picture of him in his suit when he's driving the party bus. Good thing he drives it at night. His pants are black and the jacket is dark blue. I don't think he even noticed in person, but that always bugs me. I have egg money saved for my chicken breeding stock fund, but I think it would be a better use to help him out.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
This month, our church is collecting for a food pantry, so I'll donate to that. I hate it that people only thing of this at Thanksgiving and Christmas. People are still hungry the rest of the year.

Often times, my random acts are spur of the moment-like the time I helped the guy change his tire in the rain. His jack kept slipping in the mud. I had a better jack.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just sent a bunch of snacks to our soldiers in Afghanistan this morning. It pulled me out of a funk and i am SURE it will brighten their day too!!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm taking several ladies from a retirement home to see a local drive through azalea/rhodedendron garden this week. We did that last year, and stopped for ice cream. I think it's a shame the activities director doesn't take them out for stuff like that. All they do is silly crafts that a 5 year old kid can do. I think it belittles them, doing such simple stuff. Granted, they don't have the dexterity to do much, but surely there's something!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I now volunteer at the local library/museum. Not many hours there, but I bet I typed for at least 12 hours on stuff I brought home. It's a small group of people working to preserve the history of a few small towns around here. Great little organization, surviving on donations. Right now I can't afford to donate cash, but I can donate time. :eek:)

I called a neighbor that homeschools her small kids. She's going to bring them to the library on Friday to check out the children's room. Maybe we can create enough interest with the kids to have little puppet shows or a reading hour (that lasts 15 minutes). :D I'm just trying to generate some more community awareness.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm taking care of a friends place while her daughter took her to Hawaii. She wasn't going to go because she had so much to take care of, I convinced her to leave and I would handle everything that needed handling. She is a widow and on VA survivor benefits so most likely a once in a lifetime trip. ALOHA my friend I got you covered. :cool: