Rapidobe - cheaper, faster, easier alternative for construction

velacreations

Power Conserver
Reaction score
follow the link on the original post for our structure built with this method.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I might have missed it but I didn't see any pics or links on that site that showed houses made of this construction and the states that allow it. Could you post a site that has that info?

velacreations

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the link is to our structure that was built using this method. There are photos throughout the text.

Here are more photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/velacreations/sets/72157628554400001/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/velacreations/sets/72157629337022610/

The original link with photos and a description of the build:
http://www.velacreations.com/shelter/building-components/walls/item/166-rapidobe-walls.html

I have no ideas which states that allow it. You will need to research that for yourself.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The pics don't show the whole, completed structure but it does show a brick wall. Is the brick wall erected on either side of the packed earthen wall? Does the roof rest on the earthen wall or on the bricks on either side of the packed earth?

Any chance you could show us the whole house and describe how the roof ties into the wall supports? Also, how thick is the wall? Is it wider at the base and tapers towards the top or of consistent width from top to bottom?

After looking a little closer it seems you have steel beam supports for your walls/roof. Is the packed earth more or less for insulation?

velacreations

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the "steel beam" is just a 3" cpurlin. It doesn't add strength to anything, just gives us a way to tie in the roof. The earth is the strength.

I will see if I can get some more photos of the finished structure. If you look around our site, I have lots of photos of the whole house.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll keep searching! What state are you in and did you have to have a permit for this build? Was it easy to get or did you have to provide any special documentation?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I highly doubt it if I could get a permit, but that has never stopped me before. Honestly I think it would be a great project. I wish I could find a book more particular to my needs, rather than the one we both have read and communicated about. I mean, I'll never find a hill in this area, unless I make my own. But to have all those benefits....that would be great.

velacreations

Power Conserver
Reaction score
do some searches on earthbags. There are a a few good books on that style, and they work well on flat land. There are several websites with example plans and getting started guides, as well.