Rats! How do I get rid of them??

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay, this isn't really a livestock question, but not sure where else to post this. What is the best way to get get rid of rats? Not sure how many we are dealing with, but we have seen one and I am sure there are others. They are under (and have at least at some point been inside) of an old farm house. Any advice?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You can try rat poison, traps and shooting them. All 3 work, but one might work better in your situation than another.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We live near orchards so a big rat will come along now and then. Especially if we leave the garage door open. We don't like to use poison because they will eat it then go off and die in a corner somewhere.

We have bought some very large traps from home depot. They are plastic, reusable and pretty easy to set. The trick is to tie a string to the trap and anchor it. We have had them sneak off after being trapped. I think another rat carried of a dead one, because trust be that sucker was DOA.

If you have many poison might be a better option.

I hope this helps.

G

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My West Highland White Terriers are the best ratters EVER! A couple weeks ago I went out one morning to feed and saw a rodent swimming in the water bucket. Our little female came over, assessed the situation and then went 'bobbing for rodent', lol. I thought it was the funniest thing ever - rat didn't think so!

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thanks! Not sure how many rats there might be or which method we will try but I appreciate the advice. I was initially thinking poison but wondered what other routes others had used successfully. Appreciate the help!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
My West Highland White Terriers are the best ratters EVER! A couple weeks ago I went out one morning to feed and saw a rodent swimming in the water bucket. Our little female came over, assessed the situation and then went 'bobbing for rodent', lol. I thought it was the funniest thing ever - rat didn't think so!
My horse would have done the same thing. She hates other animals in "her" space. So far she has "bobbed" for a couple dozen crows, a cat, a turkey :somad ,and tried to do a dog. Oh and a few squirrels.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Happy to be Me said:
thanks! Not sure how many rats there might be or which method we will try but I appreciate the advice. I was initially thinking poison but wondered what other routes others had used successfully. Appreciate the help!
I suggest you try both at once. Posion will often make a big dent in the problem and works best as an outer defence. Place it away from areas used by livestock, pets and kids[quick treatment can usually save animals that get into it by accident] The thing with poision is that rats that are not killed by first exposure will avoid it in the future. If a second round is needed try a different poison. I use traps to clean up the rest and keep track of the population. I have traps set at all times, low catch low population. Usually a place [farm that is] is never rat free but if you can limit their food supply they will not multiply out of comtrol and both Poision Bait and traps are more effective

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - to what gd said. Dual method approach is probably your best bet.

I put out poison about a week ago and have seen quite a few dead ones (and smelled a few more :sick ). I used to worry that the dogs would eat the dead rats - but mine don't. They are so above that, lol.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Be very careful with the poison the dogs will eat it and mine did even after we thought she couldn't get at it. The trip to the vet was very expensive and there is short time frame that they can be treated successfully. My dog made it but it was very stressful. I know people who were not so lucky. Good news is the bar bait poison we used worked great on the vermin. No more problem.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
JustOneBite bar poison works lovely and within a few day's time....they usually crawl outside to die, so no dead rat smell under the house. True that dogs like it...if you can catch them in time, pour a half cup of hydrogen peroxide down their gullet and they will expel the poison....and everything they've eaten since they were a pup!

My dogs or cats wouldn't touch the poisoned rats....mostly theydon't eat something they find that is already dead.