Raw Milk SCORE!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe it. I went to a local farm (name withheld to protect them) who had advertised they sold raw milk to the public, legally. I can't believe what I just paid. You do have to bring your own container, I have a neat old gallon sized glass jug with a screw on top - $3.00 a gallon! If you can find raw milk in a storefront somewhere it costs over $6.00 a gallon here! I need to find another glass jug, so I can buy two gallons at a time.

I'm protecting them because the state is on them right now. Once the state lets up if there is anyone near me who wants to know PM me and I'll give you their name and phone number.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:ep It is $8 and up just a little west of you, and I have to travel an hour to get it....and I was not impressed with the cleanliness of the farm and the cows don't get outside. That visit was what got me looking for a goat to milk!

At $3 per gallon, I would not have dairy goats....Oh, the cheeses I would make! I do want the contact info, once you can. I will get some when I am in the area and make some cow's milk cheese for a nice change!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
COOL!
I was just going to post on here that I found a place to get raw milk too! Of course it is for my cats (that I don't have lol!) I want to try and make some butter for the first time! I am getting a half gallon of cream for a $3 'donation'! It is a $3 donation for a regular gallon of milk.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That is a wonderful score reinbeau!!

I am paying $8 per gallon here too. I think I am going to contact the creamery directly and see if they are ok cutting out the middle man. But then it wont be 10 minutes away, it will be more like an hour. Not sure if it would be worth a weekly trip. :/

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All of the raw milk places around here have been closed or changed numbers, etc, etc, you know the drill. I've given up & decided to go the way of Free and just get an ani-mule to milk.

Congrats on the score! That is an AWESOME price!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, I had to say I was a long-lost cousin, because right now they can't sell to the public. I guess they liked me or something! :)55

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Okay, so many people excited over raw milk. Yet when I mention to my mom that we'll be getting raw milk in a year from our cows "That stuff can kill you." When I tell her "You can drink the milk and eat the cheese without having your lactose intolerance problems." she walks away saying "That stuff can kill you." I'm drooling over the thought of home-made butter and cheese, she's planning my funeral.

Welcome to Killjoy Central.

SO, raw milk, NOT pasteurized, correct? So why isn't that stuff killing you?

BTW, once it's time, you guys can all come get raw milk for free if you do the milking. ;)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, if the cow is diseased, or the farm is nasty, it CAN kill you. If the cow is good, the farm is clean, and the milkers use good sanitation practices, you'll run into less bacteria (the bad ones) than you would in store bought pasterized milk.

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Well, if the cow is diseased, or the farm is nasty, it CAN kill you. If the cow is good, the farm is clean, and the milkers use good sanitation practices, you'll run into less bacteria (the bad ones) than you would in store bought pasterized milk.
I was really hoping you would say this.

So if my cow is healthy, and the cow free-ranges all day in a normal pasture loaded with cow patties and bermuda grass, but nothing repelling, and I keep the buckets clean, everything should be okay?

The bucket: I don't want to have to sterilize the bucket every day like baby bottles. What is a good, EASY way to get a sterile bucket? Is washing in the sink by hand with a paper towel, hot water, and dish soap enough, or does it require special forces?