Re-Thinking My Nest Boxes

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't remember. I just googled nest box plans. I think the boxes are 11 or 12 inches each

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BOs are fatty girls, so flying up to lay eggs is just hard on them...then there is the dismount. And they do love a roomy nest to lay in...fat bottomed girls, you know. :D

How in the world do you keep them from roosting in those high up nests, CC? Usually when the nest boxes are as high as the roosts, they will choose the boxes.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thank you, Bee. I hadn't thought about slanted tops! My goal is to get it done this fall, and ready in time for a new flock in the spring.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My DH made my nestboxes out of an old bookcase. It was a small bookcase, two shelves. He put dividers on each shelf with plywood. This created a set of 4 nest boxes. He then added a lip on the fronts of the boxes.

These nests are thus enclosed on all sides but the fronts. Hens have happily laid lots of eggs and also hatched and raised chicks in them. I like them. And it was a frugal use of an old bookcase.

I've seen folks do this before and they were darling! AND, I love repurposing an old item like that for something new and different. It adds interest to a homestead if there are little touches here and there of whimsy.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i mount my boxes 18 inches off the ground.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BOs are fatty girls, so flying up to lay eggs is just hard on them...then there is the dismount. And they do love a roomy nest to lay in...fat bottomed girls, you know. :D

How in the world do you keep them from roosting in those high up nests, CC? Usually when the nest boxes are as high as the roosts, they will choose the boxes.

Beginners luck I guess... My RIR took to the nest boxes for egg laying and I never seen them roosting in them, they would always roost on the 1x4 infront of the nest boxes.

Your right BO's are a bigger chicken than RIR's and seem to be less active than RIR's. Those are probably two good reasons why my nest boxes are not being used anymore.