Recipe needed, Bell Peppers in a tomatoe sauce.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I most love canned item ever, I think I once swore to marry the woman that could can bell peppers in tomatoe sauce. I like them medium and hot.

Do you have a recipe from a Italian canning book or American canning book? Or maybe a recipe handed down from your family?

TIA :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
the-metal-peddler said:
I most love canned item ever, I think I once swore to marry the woman that could can bell peppers in tomatoe sauce. I like them medium and hot.
Well, Jay, with that opening line, everyone is afraid to post! :lol: :gig

Home-canned peppers need to be pressure canned. I tried it once, they were mush. Maybe you should jar it up and freeze it instead. Tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, and hot peppers, cooked up in a crock pot and put into half-pint jars and frozen..... :somad Well, that smiley should be smiling, but it was the best I could do! Maybe roast the peppers and the garlic on the grill first, over a fire.... :drool

I'd freeze it in freezer-safe canning jars so the flavor won't leak all over your ice cream and such.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I HIGHLY recommend roasting peppers. DELICIOUS!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My mother cans stewed tomatoes with unreasonable quantities of green and red peppers in them (giant slices), is that the sort of thing you mean? Otherwise I've never heard of it, sorry :p

Pat