Recycling Christmas cards, the funny way!

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know what in the world made me think of this, but if you have any friends of family with a great (aka dumb!) sense of humor, you could do what my funny dumb (and I mean that in the kindest way) family did. My dad and his brother are kind of known as the 2 comedians of the family, and I don't remember who started this, but for about 10 years or so, they managed to send the same Christmas card back and forth to each other each Christmas season. They'd just cross off the families names in the signature and add their own and vice versa. It was actually a pretty fun, dumb tradition and each family looked forward to receiving "the card". We'd usually include some goofy note about how we thought it was such a nice card we that they'd appreciate receiving it this time around Maybe you just had to be there and maybe I've shouldn't reveal what an oddball family I come from, but it was a lot of fun and it is recycling, so if you'd like to make someone laugh, or just confirm to them that you are off your rocker, I suggest it! :p

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think that's a good idea, but I would personally take it a little farther and maybe make a new card out of the old card . . . for instance cut out the image from the old card in the shape of a christmas tree or star or whatnot and then paste it on a new blank card, or stategically on top of another old card.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mom and her sister have a card that has been going back and forth for nearly fifty years. It gets a little addition every time. They have lots of fun with it.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
50 years! Oh my! That's got to be some kind of record! I think we stopped because we lost it when we moved. :(

DrakeMaiden I like your idea. I may try that with my dad this year! ;)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think I will either try to find some old cards and do this this year or I will wait and save some for next year. :D

My family also has a recycled present that we give each other every year (if we remember). It originally started when my mom couldn't stand one of the ads in the little magazine they give you at opera/ballet productions . . . I think this was from the Nutcracker ballet. Anyway, she hated the image so much that I framed it and gave it to her for Christmas. Now it gets passed back and forth and always makes someone go :p when they open the present.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Years ago I bought a birthday card for someone in my family that actually said to recycle the card, send it to someone else. One year I got a birthday card that I had signed. It took me a minute to realize it was the same card.