Recycling/reusing steel barrels???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A bit of advice needed.

I recently picked up 4 steel barrels. They used to contain liquid silicone that was in a liner. Then sucked out for some scuba gear product. When empty the liner was removed and the barrel looks brand new. Nothing in side, clean as a whistle, no odor nadda.

I brought them home. I filled one with my mix of grains I had on hand for my hens.

Then I got to thinking...... about residue, trace chemicals etc... :sick

Does anyone know about these liners they use?? The steel obviously does not absorb anything right?

Just wondering. I have 3 barrels left. Not sure if I should try to re sale or save for another project. :hu

Just wondering.

g

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't know anything about those liners, but I believe steel does not absorb chemicals. I would make sure all the pieces of liner were removed, then wash the barrels out thoroughly, dry them, and use them for the feed. That's perfect to keep out the mice and other rodents.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I am quite sure that just walking within a half mile of a freeway and breathing the air for ten minutes puts a LOT more toxins into your body than storing dry goods in a clean sound new-looking-inside steel drum that has had a dry liner in it that's since been removed.

You might fill the barrel with water and let it stand a couple days, then drain and dry *thoroughly* if you are concerned. But it does not strike me as a big risk.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wish I had some I would make some smokers :)

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
beerman said:
That's what I was thinking of doing. Although smoked meat isn't good for you ... But I'll still probably end up making one. ;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
beerman said:
What great idea. Do you have any links to plans???

Thanks to all. I was really not too concerned. These really are amazing barrels.

G

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Save one for a rocket stove, or a rocket mass heater. Lucky you!! Around here, people hoard those things.
Yes almost everyone around here does too. Those steel drums are getting expensive around here. I used to be able to get them for $7 for the clean ones and $6 for ones with crud left in them. Nowadays they are $10 to $12 and getting hard to find. The plastic ones are nice but you can't burn trash in them.

Here's a use that I thought up a few years ago. If you compost leaves or use them for mulch you can pile the leaves in a drum and use a weed-eater (line trimmer) and use the trimmer like a hand-held blender. I have found that the actual string type head on the weed-eater does not work as well as the after market plastic blade trimmer head. But you can pulverize a ton of leaves in no time at all and all of your ground up leaves are already inside a great container to haul out to the garden or compost pile. I wear a dust mask 'cause the dry leaf dust really gets to me.

ETA: Oh yeah I have a 30 gal drum made into a rocket stove that I use for making Maple syrup and sometimes we use it for canning. Sometimes when the grand kids are here they like to fire it up and we cook an entire meal on it. They also like to roast (or burn) marshmallows on it at night. It's a great past-time for them to stoke the fire with sticks and they actually get to "play with fire". Rocket stoves are great for using up all the sticks that you pick up in the yard over the year. We have a bin - kind of like a compost bin - made from old wooden pallets that we pile up sticks and twigs for use in the rocket. I use a piece of plywood to keep the sticks dry and ready for quick use.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Marianne said:
Save one for a rocket stove, or a rocket mass heater. Lucky you!! Around here, people hoard those things.
Yes almost everyone around here does too. Those steel drums are getting expensive around here. I used to be able to get them for $7 for the clean ones and $6 for ones with crud left in them. Nowadays they are $10 to $12 and getting hard to find. The plastic ones are nice but you can't burn trash in them.

Here's a use that I thought up a few years ago. If you compost leaves or use them for mulch you can pile the leaves in a drum and use a weed-eater (line trimmer) and use the trimmer like a hand-held blender. I have found that the actual string type head on the weed-eater does not work as well as the after market plastic blade trimmer head. But you can pulverize a ton of leaves in no time at all and all of your ground up leaves are already inside a great container to haul out to the garden or compost pile. I wear a dust mask 'cause the dry leaf dust really gets to me.
Now, that's a big stick blender!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I bought 4 at 8 bucks each. I should take a pic they are all clean and purddy!

I will hang on to the other 2 and not let dh get a hold of them. I had 4, 55gal blue plastic and he filled them with diesel. :sick

I would get a few more but really don't have room for them.

Thanks, g