Red neck air conditioning

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I saw this on youtube and thought I'd give it a try. I have two small window units that cool this house down fine but the new cabin will not have electricity and wanted to experiment with this just for fun. This will not remove any humidity and may add to it a bit because the bottles sweat.

AC_cooler1.jpg

I froze six 1/2 gallon bottles and put in a camping cooler, the separating foam is an inch off the bottom to force the air flow through the bottles from the bottom up.

AC_cooler2.jpg

Covered with a piece of foam insulation and have a computer fan blowing down and a hole for the cold air to blow up and out of, there is a temperature probe in it as shown.

When first started in a 82F bedroom at 11am the exit air was 62F and over 4 hours rose to 72F when the ice was all melted. It only cooled the 13'x12' room one degree but it also was removing any heat from me and the computer - so it did not go up even while the day got warmer and me and the computer created 500 btus of heat per hour.

I calculated that the 25 pounds of ice absorbed 5000 btus of heat over the 4 hours, my 5000 btu window unit will get this room to 60F in that time but also took 20,000 btus to do it. That is not the point of the experiment it was to see if I could cool a room half the size on only extremely hot days in my new cabin which will not have AC as planned because of power demands.

The window unit draws 600 watts and would put a deep draw on a solar panel and batteries. I froze the 6 water bottles plus 6 more in less than 10 hours at a hourly draw of 94 watts - I started with a hot empty freezer so it will probably be less than that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
But the bottles sweat because of humidity that is already in the air, am I right? So it wouldn't really add new humidity. Sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it works!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
freemotion said:
But the bottles sweat because of humidity that is already in the air, am I right? So it wouldn't really add new humidity. Sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it works!
You got me there and are correct - and me being well versed in atmospheric physics missed that completely.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
xpc, I love all the cool stuff you make.
Being unemployed for the last two years (mostly by choice) and many rooms full of neat parts I have time to play around, I am in the middle of a huge house remodel where I have effectively rebuilt it from the inside out, but sanding drywall is not fun and can't seem to stay on task.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
xpc, that is very cool! I love the things you make too. :love Are you married? Just kiddin!

What is your cabin like? Is on your house's property or somewhere else?

(August is national inventors month, did you know that?)

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
xpc, that is very cool! I love the things you make too. :love Are you married? Just kiddin!

;) If hes not married BBH..maybe we can share? :gig

xpc- you do have some awesome ideas!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
big brown horse said:

;) If hes not married BBH..maybe we can share? :gig

xpc- you do have some awesome ideas!
:lol: o.k.!!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:

The cabin is not built yet, I have designed and cost it out am and looking for land in the nearby Tennessee area (cheap and available). I have worked full time for 30 years and being on a 2 year sabbatical has shown me that I don't want to go back. I will have no utilities and the only costs will be $100 a year for property taxes and $600 for wireless Internet, all power and water will be made by me and have no appreciable costs except installation.

Though I have spent several years of living expenses on this house remodel it has brought the equity up ten fold and the profit will more than pay for the land, cabin, and 12 years of living costs until I can draw my retirement benefits. This is why I am experimenting with all this now so I can incorporate it all in my cabin construction when the time comes.

No! I am not married (anymore) which is why I could quit my job at 47 and tinker all day, sold my house in Wisconsin payed off and closed all credit accounts and bought a dilapidated foreclosed house here for dimes on the dollar, for almost a year living in this house was more like camping.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
If hes not married BBH..maybe we can share? :gig
Do you really want to share this?

black_face1.jpg

A day of drywall sanding dust really bugged my eyes