Red Or White Wheat for Cream of Wheat?????

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Finally used up the store bought Cream of Wheat.. I have Red and White Wheat stored in 6 gallon buckets.. Was wondering which one is ground for Cream of Wheat and how corarse or fine should I grind it..
Thank you..

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you like a stronger wheat taste, go with the red, if you like a mild taste, go with the white. You'll likely have to cook it for longer than the commercial Cream of Wheat....but that is a guess, since I don't eat it in either form....an overnight soaking would speed up the cooking time, too. "Cracked Wheat" is pretty fine, like meal, so I'd guess that is what you'd go for....something about the size of, say, poppy seeds or a tiny bit bigger.

Found this on cooking cracked wheat......use two cups liquid to one cup cracked wheat and simmer for 25 minutes.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you !!! It's good to know both will work just depends on preference and taste.. I'll have to ground some of each and see which hubby preferres..

I ground some with the hand grinder a few years ago and we made bread and I cooked some too, but can't remember which one it was red or white... the bread turned out only about a fourth of what it should of as the hand grinder didn't grind fine enough.. it was a 69.00 .. have since purchased a electric one from be prepared .com and am real happy with it..

Latest posts