Red wheatberries or white?

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am being offered a deal of 50lbs of wheatberries for $18. And an offer of 5 gallon food grade storage containers.

Would you recommend red or white wheatberries? I use it primarily for bread. I also like wheatberry salad.

And how many 5 gallon containers would I need to store it?

Thanks,
Inchy

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
White has a slightly less bitter taste for whole wheat bread- it is what I have. I have never used 5 gallon buckets for storage but I would think no more than 3. Hopefully someone else with direct experience would tell you more. Wheat is very heavy for it's volume.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow..$18 for 50# of red wheatberries is pretty darn good..! I get hard red wheatberries for $43.00 per 50# through a co-op.It almost sounds to good to be true, but i sure ain't no wheat price expert...lol I would want to find out how old the wheat is. I've been storing hard white and hard red wheatberries in 5 gal bucket in mylar bags.I've been getting about 25 # in a bucket in two mylar bags, about 12.5 # per bag. You may get more in with one bigger bag.I also put oxygen absorber in the bags before sealing.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If the white is soft white then it is mainly used for pastry & baking. Hard red is your best for bread making.
As to the buckets 2 will hold 50lbs with space left over, a 5 gal bucket will hold about 45lbs of wheat berries.
Congrats on getting a great deal on the wheat, if possible I would get more than 1 bag!!