reflux treatment options - bitter tea?

epoch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've completely been through the ringer with my health over the last 8 or so years. It feels like everything that could go wrong has. I finally (just) found out I have lead poisoning which probably explains everything so hopefully things will be on the up once it is treated. Right now I'm really bothered by reflux issues, which are probably caused by a combination of the lead and NSAIDS I've taken for years to just hang on one more day every day because of such excruciating pain.

So, now I'm off the NSAIDS (taking vits and mins to treat a disorder I have which helps with the pain). I've done 1.5 months on Nexium for gastritis and oesophagitis - I had my doubts about the treatment but the doctor worked hard at scaring me about oesophagitis becoming cancerous... so, not really sure, I took it to give the oesophageal tissue a break. I was supposed to go for 2 months but the burping got so bad whilst on it I felt I had to get off it.

I want to use ACV but during my illness my oral health has become so poor that my teeth are in a bad way with not much enamel (it has really worn away at the bottom of some teeth). I've tried a commercial mixture of swedish bitters which gave me the runs - I think I have a problem with the alcohol content as alcohol has always given me a headache even at small amounts. Now I'm trying to work out the next best option to increase me stomach acid to improve my digestion. I have in mind to make a bitters tea with the benefits of swedish bitters minus the alcohol. I've been looking in health food shops and can't find any such thing which surprises me.

If anyone can advise a tried and true natural treatment that won't affect my very vulnerable teeth I'd be so, so very gateful.

tressa27884

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Essential Oils: 2 drops Roman Chamomile, 1 drop Digest Zen, 1 drop Lavender - apply blend to center of chest from collarbone to stomach. I have horrible acid reflux and this works for me...

Garp94

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I hope you've found something to help before now, but just in case:

separately, carrot juice and honey do help with reflux.
for some people going gluten free will also stop acid reflux

To help your digestion:
Betaine is great to increase your stomach's acidity.
ACV comes in capsules, or you can drink it through a straw and or rinse your mouth out after
Digestive enzymes also help with digestion, and some formulations come with betaine

probiotics can help, if you find the right strains for you. And that's the kicker, "for you" so you can try several for at least a week before deciding.

The potato hack is considered good for resetting gut flora, as is eating naturally fermented foods with each meal.

If your teeth are weak, try supplementing with Vit K2 or fermented cod liver oil or pastured butter or real fermented foods like sauerkraut or kimchi [ all of which are good sources of K2]

Good luck

Compostchicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi sorry to hear about your reflux, I know it's awful!! I wanted to mention, make sure to AVOID peppermint if you are experiencing acid reflux, as peppermint often makes it worse!! And bitters should be used with caution because they can increase stomach acid production!! CHAMOMILE is a great one to try, as well as calendula or marshmallow root. Slippery elm is good but is endangered. I recommend teas for sipping, and applying essential oils in a carrier oil to the affected, externally, of course! Good luck! Get well!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome @Compostchicken to the forum. I see you've jumped right in, and we are glad to have you with us. I didn't know about the peppermint either.

Latest posts