Refridgerator energy saving ?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
For a single person it probably wouldn't be too bad, but yes it is a pain to jockey stuff around to find what you are looking for. I bought a 5 cu.ft. chest freezer because from measuring my regular refrigerator that is how much space I consistently used. Mine only had room for one sliding basket at the top for the most used items and had the rest in plastic boxes stacked on the bottom.

The cold coil is about a foot from the top on these chests and go all the way around, at 40F they will sweat and drip water down the sides. I kept everything off the bottom on a plastic grid, other people who have made these solved it with silicone and a small gutter all the around the inside wall with a plastic drip tube going out the bottom drain hole, they said it worked great after that.

I had no qualms using it and ran it long enough to get test data on the energy usage but having cheap electricity and the need for a freezer I saw no reason to switch to it at this time.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks xpc. That makes sense. The details are interesting. Isn't 5 cu ft pretty small? I think my fridge is bigger than that.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Thanks xpc. That makes sense. The details are interesting. Isn't 5 cu ft pretty small? I think my fridge is bigger than that.
My fridge is 20 cu.ft. but only use one quarter of it, the rest is filled with water bottles. It is fairly new and makes no sense to replace it with a smaller unit at this time.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone measured the energy consumption of the refrigerator with and without the ice?

My grandfather had an icebox that he used at the fishing camp. I guess that would be an option, too.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Has anyone measured the energy consumption of the refrigerator with and without the ice?

My grandfather had an icebox that he used at the fishing camp. I guess that would be an option, too.
First, let me say :welcome

I for one have not measured the difference, but I may just do that when winter is in full swing here and I order a new Kill-A-Watt (if I can make room in the fridge). Adding the bottles of ice would have to help, I would believe, since they are doing at least part of the work in keeping the fridge cold.

However, I would disagree with an earlier post that says not to place them up top. Since cold air sinks, it would be more efficient to place the ice near the top. Placing them in the center of the top rack would allow the cold to filter down, and allow for air circulation.

I have the perfect fridge to try this, as it does not have freezer as part of the unit. 100% all refrigerator.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great. Post your results here, OK? I am trying to be better about measuring to make sure my efforts are worth it.

Do you think it's possible to store enough ice for the summer? Obviously, it's possible, but do you think it can be done cheaply? I don't have space or $$ for dedicated shed.