cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not. My Mom collected
porcelain dolls for many years. When Mom and Dad were remodeling their
house they put them into their backyard storage shed. She passed away
almost 2 years ago shortly after their remodeling was finished. She was
not able to get everything back into the house, so when we got into the things
in storage they had been in there for a year or so.

When I got the dolls I found that they had some water damage from a leak in the
roof and also has some damage from mice nesting in the box. I am trying to restore
the ones that were salvageable. Does anyone have suggestions on getting rain/mouse
stains out of the clothes? There also is a lot of damage to 'raincoat' for one of the dolls.
Should I take the coat apart to use as a pattern and sew a new paint or just repair the red
'raincoat' with fabric paint?

The dolls themselves are in good condition, it is just mainly the clothing. One does have some staining on her
cloth body and hair and cloth scalp though.
One needs new tights, I think I might be able to find those at Hobby Lobby.
Thane ahead of time for any help.

Monica

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the same thing you'd use to get stains out of baby clothes would work, but I would worry about damaging/weakening the stitching, especially if they are antique. As for the stains on the dolls themselves, I found several options listed when I googled it, but they also said that - if antique -cleaning could greatly lessen the value :hu

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSD- Thanks,they are not really what I would consider antiques, but they are at least 30 yrs. old. Undressing them, the fabric doesn't seem too fragile. There is a lot of sentimental value here.Mom collected them to hand down to the granddaughters. I could probably find the same dolls in a thrift shop, but it wouldn't be the same. I will google it, I thought I would try here first.

Monica