Remaking an antique quilt

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm really proud of myself. Laying out a quilt it NOT one of my strong points. I tried 9-square, but I had SEVEN of most of the fabrics, so I couldn't do what I wanted.

There was such a range - from that bold red/green/clue to the pinks! So I started with the boldest colors in the middle and worked outwards. I also didn't want to "dilute" the heirloom fabrics with the huge amount of red quares I had!

I'm REALLY HAPPY with this! (FYI, edging will be red.)

Grandma's Quilt Pattern by tortoise11, on Flickr

fancy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You have more talent than you think...although I can stitch things together perfectly, I have no talent for putting the colors together like you did!

YEAH, GOOD JOB!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Quilt top is pieced, I handwashed it (OMG, most disgusting thing ever! :sick ) On a more cheerful note - the polka dots are white! (Who knew!)

:gig

I have to go buy some new batting and red yarn for ties. (uck.) My fiance already did a shopping trip today so it will have to wait until we need to go shopping again.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Looks great!

Putting a back on isn't hard at all by the way. I made mine about 2 inches wider than the quilt on all sides, turned it over so it overlapped onto the quilt, ironed it and sewed it right to the top of the quilts edge. The corners were a cinch too.

Morel, please post pics of your quilt art work for tortoise and the rest of us. :D I loved it!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
BBH I love that quilt! Love the idea of black and yellow for a baby! It is so sweet and different, and all by hand? Wow, the love!!

I haven't done any new ones lately, I have one started but won't be pulling it out to complete it until later in the fall. maybe mid September. I have pics of my quilts on here somewhere...:>)

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think you did a great job. When I saw the pic of your squares I would have thought there was no way to incorporate the red ones. I actually like some of the paler ones. :). You did a great job pulling them together.

Love the baby quilt too. I handsewed tons of stuff for mine when I was expecting. :)

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, that is just the BEST solution for those quilt pieces. It's really lovely. I don't know about red for the border, because you might lose those four red squares in the corners, but maybe a thin....1 inch.....inner border of that yellow-orange in the center squares, then the red border???