reprocessing pickles

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I made pickles a couple days ago but I apparantly did not put enough cucumber slices in the jars. So now the slices that are in the jars are kinda floating and there seems to be excess space in there. Should/could I slice another cuke or two, put the slices in the jars (really pack them in I mean) and then reprocess them? Would that work or should I just scrap the batch?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Re-processing will make for soft pickles--I'd just leave them and enjoy them as you open each jar. Next time you do pickles, just be sure to really cram them in there--'cause now you know they'll shrink a bit during processing (cooking/canning removes air from the fruit tissues so they shrink a bit) :)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with Moolie, you're pickles should be just fine. Not having enough cukes in there isn't going to effect the end pickle result. Just use this as a learning curve, enjoy your pickles and next time......put in more cukes! :thumbsup

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So having the top one bobbing in the air for 4-6 weeks before I open them is ok?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You did slices? And enough brine liquid to fill to 1 inch or less from the jar rim? If so, yes they should be okay. You could also turn the jars upside down. You're better off with less solid & more juice in a jar than the other way around. I'd be more worried about them if there was too many pickles and not enough liquid.
The other day I did (3) 1/2 pints of pickled banana pepper slices and yes they float. I could have easily fit them all into 2 jars or crammed them into 1. Since the kids love them so much they'd eat them all and this way I can hide the other 2 jars. ;)