Rescuing meals -- what to do when things turn out weird

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Enjoy the ride and I both happened to mention this in another thread and I got to thinking, it'd be good to hear what other people do to salvage things on the stove when something you're cooking goes terribly, terribly wrong.

Like, saving what you made in small batches and adding them to other soups/stews/sauces/whatevers.

Or, cook several peeled chunked potatoes into an overly salty soup or stew to absorb some of the salt. (Potatoes can then be used for another purpose).

Or, if meat turns out really tough, mince it really really fine and either add it back to something else like a soup or mix it with sauce and maybe some beans and use it for burrito filling.

Of course chickens are the ultimate last-ditch measure in getting some benefit out of a kitchen disaster :p but IME *most* problems, short of severe scorching, seem to be reusable in some form for human consumption :)

So what do y'all do?

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My autistic son decided to make brownies. He is a visual learner and had seen me at one point make them. He got the eggs, he got the almond flour, he got the cocoa powder....he didn't add any sweetener! LOL

I crumbled up his bitter, chocolatey mess, added sweetener, some more eggs and blended it up before rebaking it. It wasn't the best batch of low carb brownies I ever had, but it was edible and I didn't have to throw anything away.