resting the garden a year

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this year the bugs are BAD. idk if it the weather or what. maybe bugs laid eggs in the garden last year and they all woke up to a feast?

its got me thinking about not planting next year and just letting the chickens run the garden all year. do you guys think that would help? i know the chickens would love it

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Letting the chickens loose in the garden would help some with the bugs, but the problem is, there are bugs everywhere and they'll just move in again next year… What I'd do if they are really big problem, is get some natural or organic pesticide or insect repellent and use that on and around the plants to keep them at bay. I've used Neem the one time I managed to get my hands on some, and it was fantastic. We diluted and sprayed it over the plants that were the most popular with the bugs and they ran.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here are a few more ideas:
https://learn.eartheasy.com/guides/natural-garden-pest-control/

Is there a way you can order some praying mantises or ladybugs online? Or a garder snake?

And maybe someone else would know, but now that your garden is well established, maybe allowing the chickens in for an hour or two now would help? They'd have plenty of shade now, and wouldn't be as visible to hawks.I think they're less likely to go after the full grown plants than they would the seeds, and maybe they'd do a good job of cleaning up some bugs? I'd rather lose a few plants than the whole garden. I'm sure others would have more input. You could put them in for a while, and have you and the kids just keep them away from actual food. Of course, you'd have to have a way to catch them afterwards.
@Beekissed uses lime in her yard every spring and fall to cut down on bugs.
I'd definitely let the chickens in after harvest, but you'd then have to watch for hawks.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Try companion planting garlic, basil and marigolds deter bugs to name a few. Make sure to rotate your plants. I use three different beds and plant two each year and rest one. Good Luck

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed uses lime in her yard every spring and fall to cut down on bugs.
I'd definitely let the chickens in after harvest, but you'd then have to watch for hawks.

That's just for the fleas....doesn't do much for other bugs. Works great to prevent fleas.

I had a garden filled with pest bugs last year...when I had wood chips as my mulch. Now, with the hay as mulch, all those bugs and their millions of offspring laid last year have not shown up yet...I'm hoping they don't, but summer is still young yet.

I tried Neem last year and it was like giving them a sprinkler to play in...didn't phase the millions of squash bugs and Jap beetles. This year I'm going with Dawn and being vigilant to do a garden walk morning and evening, trying to get on top of things before it gets too out of hand.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Try companion planting garlic, basil and marigolds deter bugs to name a few. Make sure to rotate your plants. I use three different beds and plant two each year and rest one. Good Luck
Welcome to SufficientSelf @cabinguy! :) That is a good idea, companion planting. I was thinking yesterday of a tip an old lady gave me once, to place a clove of garlic under rose bushes when I plant them. She said the garlic will deter bugs.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@sumi when we moved in here, there were already roses. Guess what I found growing next to them? Garlic! I didn't know they were there, and probably mowed them all down last year.

Welcome to the group, @cabinguy! Great suggestions!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. If using any spray, do it in the late evening so you don't get any bees. It will dry overnight and won't bother the bees the next day.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score

Welcome to SufficientSelf!

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
upload_2018-6-28_20-16-37.png

A copy of a companion planting chart, for my bush beans when they are just sprouting and eggplant I use diatomaceous earth.

Latest posts