Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Posted some pics of my discovery here, https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/a-little-backyard-homestead-project.15332/page-16#post-421387, but decided to start a separate thread for this venture.

Time and a break in the weather, along with the loan of a chainsaw and someone less clumsy than me to operate it, meant work on the shed started… With the tree…

IMG_1583.jpg
IMG_1584.jpg
IMG_1585.jpg
IMG_1586.jpg

Looking at the outside wall and then inside, I think I'll have to go down about 3 feet to the original floor of the shed. I found the rotted remains of some of the roof beams and something else wood that is so rotted, I can only guess what it may have been. A work bench maybe? Other "treasures" include a lot of buckets, some chain link fence, pipes, etc. And lots and lots of firewood :)

I surveyed the situation earlier and had to ask myself the question "Am I MAD doing this??" I think the answer would be yes, but I feel I am past the point of no return with this thing now, so I'll continue…

The chainsaw decided to die and refuse to restart, so we got as far as pictured today. I am going to remove all the wood from there that is loose, then the rubbish and then see about digging down along the tree stump. I want and need to remove as much of that thing as possible and KILL it (any suggestions?), so it doesn't grow back again.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh. So. Not. Mad!! :) I'd be right out there with you. That is such a cool project! Thank you for pictures!

I don't know what the stuff is called, but there is stuff you can put on tree stumps to help them decay. But you'd have to make sure it would be safe for the chickens. Otherwise, I'd think of large doses of salt.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a BIG project! Can't wait to follow your progress. I second the recommendation of salt. I've seen folks drill deep holes into the stump and pour salt in the holes. Seems to work.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just found this online:
Once the limbs have been safely removed, cut down the main trunk. Drill into the remaining truck several times. If you would like to complete how to kill tree roots, fill the holes with salt, herbicide or nitrogen. Once thetree stump is dead, it can be chopped out easily.Jun 30, 2016"

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll try the salt and see how it goes. I really, really need that stump dead, or it's going to continue regrowing and mess up the new roof I plan to put on.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, we all need a little challenge, right? :pop

I'd say that is certainly one!! What is the "hole" in the second pic? Appears to be a drain pipe, actually....wondering. So, is the wall area stone? I can hardly wait for this to play out. Those vines are a challenge themselves. Better cut before it warms & they leaf out.

Ya know what? FREE firewood is really good. :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Well, we all need a little challenge, right? :pop

I'd say that is certainly one!! What is the "hole" in the second pic? Appears to be a drain pipe, actually....wondering. So, is the wall area stone? I can hardly wait for this to play out. Those vines are a challenge themselves. Better cut before it warms & they leaf out.

Ya know what? FREE firewood is really good. :)
A little one, yes! The "hole" is a metal drum that is rusting away there. I need to remove that. The gap in the wall is the doorway into the shed, currently about 3 feet high only. I need to dig that area out, along with the inside… It's going to take me a little while, I reckon. But I am fair determined and I love challenges!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like it. Is this on the place you are renting? Your landlord is going to be so sad when you move.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sumi, once you add a roof, that should also help kill the roots just by blocking the sunlight and rain. Block the doorway, add a pig, and let him get that root for you!:lol:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I like it. Is this on the place you are renting? Your landlord is going to be so sad when you move.
Yes, I'm renting this place, which is part of why I'm questioning my sanity taking on this project! lol He mentioned the shed, but couldn't show it to me, he thought it had fallen down by now. He is so happy about the progress I made so far in the backyard, I can't wait to see his reaction when he sees the "new" shed.

Latest posts