Returning member

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello everyone. It’s been a really long time. I was previously using my actual name but I don’t have my password. Hurricane Ida took care of the folder I had that written on but my name is Rhoda. So some of y’all are aware that I remarried a farmer/artist/disabled oilfield worker from my home town, two years ago in April. I was working as a weekend nurse until the storm ravaged my whole community and now I’m just using our survival skills to build some kind of life. The first three days were really survival. I was in my house when it started ripping apart. What’s really sad is I could have helped my community so much if only I had my house. I mean I had a well stocked pantry, apothecary, OTC meds, lots of rooms and a whole house generator. Now I am afraid to climb the stairs to get ‘inside’ but I am slowly getting my belongings and I plan on turning my downstairs patio type area into a cellar with a greenhouse on the house floor. My barn looks a lot better than my house. Strangely our camper trailer in the woods was fine, DH’s trailer house was fine, his parents 100 year old shotgun style house was fine except for two sheets of sheet metal, so we currently in his childhood home. We still have lots of poultry running around in my yard that we have to feed and so much to clean and dismantle. So I am waiting around for the administrator to call me back to work but I have lots to do anyway so not looking for work before that time. Also preparing to possibly just manage the orchard and make a living selling remedies, fresh fruits, possibly fruit trees and healthy vegetables and turn my house’s siding into 500 or so bee hives. Today is DH’s 56th Birthday and he bought himself 4 new overalls. Then we went eat out and on the rebound he bought a new rabbit...a doe. We really have a lot more rabbits than we have cages so something has got to give. So I guess that’s it. I will submit and make myself at home. Will try to look at the alternative energy sections next and maybe start a new journal but with the same title as my old one 🤷‍♀️

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hello everyone. It’s been a really long time. I was previously using my actual name but I don’t have my password. Hurricane Ida took care of the folder I had that written on but my name is Rhoda. So some of y’all are aware that I remarried a farmer/artist/disabled oilfield worker from my home town, two years ago in April. I was working as a weekend nurse until the storm ravaged my whole community and now I’m just using our survival skills to build some kind of life. The first three days were really survival. I was in my house when it started ripping apart. What’s really sad is I could have helped my community so much if only I had my house. I mean I had a well stocked pantry, apothecary, OTC meds, lots of rooms and a whole house generator. Now I am afraid to climb the stairs to get ‘inside’ but I am slowly getting my belongings and I plan on turning my downstairs patio type area into a cellar with a greenhouse on the house floor. My barn looks a lot better than my house. Strangely our camper trailer in the woods was fine, DH’s trailer house was fine, his parents 100 year old shotgun style house was fine except for two sheets of sheet metal, so we currently in his childhood home. We still have lots of poultry running around in my yard that we have to feed and so much to clean and dismantle. So I am waiting around for the administrator to call me back to work but I have lots to do anyway so not looking for work before that time. Also preparing to possibly just manage the orchard and make a living selling remedies, fresh fruits, possibly fruit trees and healthy vegetables and turn my house’s siding into 500 or so bee hives. Today is DH’s 56th Birthday and he bought himself 4 new overalls. Then we went eat out and on the rebound he bought a new rabbit...a doe. We really have a lot more rabbits than we have cages so something has got to give. So I guess that’s it. I will submit and make myself at home. Will try to look at the alternative energy sections next and maybe start a new journal but with the same title as my old one 🤷‍♀️
Hi Rhoda! I remember you! Wow, you've had a lot of challenges lately. It sounds difficult. Your attitude and courage are admirable. I'm glad you are able to rejoin us. 💗

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If you haven't run across this idea: another herbalist chanced upon the idea of using herb infused Jello to get children to accept herbs (which are often quite bitter). Of course, Jello is not the best thing in the world, but one could make a homemade version with gelatin and fruit juice and herbs (I don't know how honey would work with gelatin- has anyone every done this?)
I make homemade "jello" with whole fruit and beef gelatin. My kids like it. :) I don't sweeten it, but kids who eat more "standard American diet" would probably need it sweetened. Or tell them it's sour patch jello.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had bought a few molds and was planning on making a cannabis/ melatonin mix gummy using jello. I also planned on making my own ACV gummies. But I have made infusions that were later turned into Kool Aid. If it’s a forgiving tasting herb and I know the child can benefit from it, I might just cook a dish I know he will accept and then add it to the gravy. I pretty much never had issues with my own kids not accepting things that are good for them. I really don’t know how others get their kids to refuse yucky medicine or only accept chicken nuggets 🤷‍♀️ They really miss out on so much. You know what I did? I got my daughter interested in the herbs and she didn’t like Tussin cough medicine so she asked me if we can make a grape flavored cough syrup. I got her to put some mullein in a jar and pour glycerin over it like as if it would be vodka. I even explained we could use vodka or whiskey and she could take a TBLS a few times a day but we will make this which will be sweeter and her younger sister and cousins might like it. I got her to put a label on it and I wrote the date and what it was and her name. I then told her to put it by the coffee pot and every time she got coffee she could turn it over for two weeks. After we mashed all the glycerin out the herb we gave it to the chickens and mixed a pack of Kool Aid ...grape flavored and put in a glass bottle. She loved it. When I got custody of my niece she had a cough. She had a hard time taking pills so I gave her DD’s syrup. She asked me if she could make her own with cherry Kool Aid so I was able to teach something about herbs to her too.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello Rhoda. Welcome back

You certainly have had more than a few serious challenges too cope with. I hope you will have an easier ride from here on in.

Congratulations on your marriage that really is a blessing :) 💫

I would be more than interested too know about your herbal remedies, so will be looking out for your posts in here.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you haven't run across this idea: another herbalist chanced upon the idea of using herb infused Jello to get children to accept herbs (which are often quite bitter). Of course, Jello is not the best thing in the world, but one could make a homemade version with gelatin and fruit juice and herbs (I don't know how honey would work with gelatin- has anyone every done this?)