Reusing Glass Jars

nv2kenu

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all! New to the forum.

I was wondering if any of you have any ideas on how to get the smells out of glass jars (ei. pickle or salsa jars)? I have tried hot water and baking soda, hot water and vinegar. Just baking soda. These have not worked at all. I do not want to use chemicals at all as I am reusing for dry food storage, such as flour, lentils and beans.

Thanks for your help.

Natasha

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
First, :welcome from the California high desert!

Now, about the jars. I just wash mine like any other dish and leave them sit for a couple weeks without the lid on and any odors just seem to dissipate. :hu

nv2kenu

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hmmm....don't think I have tried that. Want to use them right away. Will have to give it a go, but be sure to hide the lids so hubby doesn't throw them away.

Thanks! And thanks for the welcome. :)

Natasha

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:welcome to both of you :)

I would let them sit out as well with lids off. It helps to sit them outside in the sun if you have a place you can do that, then rewash in a week and see if the smell is gone. If not, repeat.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Agree. Times helps the most. Plus my dishwasher's sanitizing function does a great job too.

I've recently deemed my old jam jars to be my husband's new breakfast jar: granola with dried fruit and nuts or seeds. Saves on baggies or little plastic tubs.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Soak in hot water w/1C bleach for a day (Lid too, put it in a bowl of hot water w/a splash of bleach) then into the dishwasher. I use gallon pickle jars for raw milk storage and it works fine for me.

I tried everything else, baking soda, dish soap, peroxide, vinegar and nothing worked but bleach for a fast smell get rid of 'er :lol:

nv2kenu

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

The weather isn't all that great at this time, so I will have to hold off on that. I don't think it's the lids, as I have smelt them, and they are fine, but when you smell the jar....whew....strong. And I don't want to toss the lids, as I need them to close up the jars after. Or do you have another idea on that?

I don't really want to resort to bleach, being a chemical, as well as learning much about it. Did you know it's been banned from Europe do to possible link to breast cancer.

Anyway...I will try leaving lids off for a time. After all...I haven't been able to use them anyway as it is, so what's a little more time.

Thanks again.

Natasha