Rifle for beginner

buglit

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have never owned or shot a rifle in my life. However, I would like to know your recommendations for a good small game rifle for a novice. Something for hunting rabbit, squirrel and killing the possums and racoons that keep trying to get at my chickens. Thank you in advance

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:welcome

Welcome to the SS forum. Great question. I look forward to hearing the advice from more of our seasoned SS folks.

g

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First, get with a friend or relative to get some hands on training :D they are quite an experience, especially if you've never had a gun buck in your hands. Once you do get one, go back to the same person and get them to walk through with you loading, siting, firing, etc until you are completely comfortable.

A 410 shotgun will shoot shells or slugs (BB type shot & regular bullets) and should be sufficient for most yard pests. I'm sorry, but I can't recommend a brand. The one I have is an antique Winchester.

I am partial to my handgun, a Springfield 1911 .45 ACP. It will take care of most anything, but it would prob be overkill for minor pests. You can get "training" barrel kits that shoot a .22 instead of the massive .45, but they will run a pretty penny.

buglit

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My best friend is a sharp shooter with an M16 - but I don't think that would help much. Do you think that I could get the help that I need from a gun and rifle shop that has a firing range?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
:welcome

Welcome to the SS forum. Great question. I look forward to hearing the advice from more of our seasoned SS folks.

g
DITTO!

buglit, we are in the same boat! I only had a bb gun when I was young.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
First, get with a friend or relative to get some hands on training :D they are quite an experience, especially if you've never had a gun buck in your hands. Once you do get one, go back to the same person and get them to walk through with you loading, siting, firing, etc until you are completely comfortable.

A 410 shotgun will shoot shells or slugs (BB type shot & regular bullets) and should be sufficient for most yard pests. I'm sorry, but I can't recommend a brand. The one I have is an antique Winchester.

I am partial to my handgun, a Springfield 1911 .45 ACP. It will take care of most anything, but it would prob be overkill for minor pests. You can get "training" barrel kits that shoot a .22 instead of the massive .45, but they will run a pretty penny.
Note to self, don't mess with noobiechickenlady!!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I would recommend a .22 as a good beginner rifle. It will certainly do well in hunting squirrels and rabbits, although it is a bit light for using on a raccoon. I have killed raccoons with a .22, but unless it is a perfect head shot, it takes multiple shots.

A .22 and a 410 combination would do you well. I know that EAA, Savage, Springfield, and Remington all make a 22/410 combo, and there are probably more out there.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Buglit, I love an M16, they shoot so smooth :drool , but they are too high for me. Your sharpshooter friend could give you basic lessons, as long as you let him/her know that you only want the basics. Using a gun is much like using a bike. There are really good quality bikes and there are cheap ones. They all operate in similar fashions though, sit, push & peddle. With guns, its steady, aim, squeeze. The only gun you need to know intimately, is your own.

It really depends on how friendly your local gun store & range are. Its worth checking. They will at least be able to show you how to break it down & clean it. That will give you a decent working knowledge of it.