rocket Stove solution for emergency heat

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we have rocket stove threads all thru this forum. in fact I posted one with a link on how to make a long time ago

but I love new links. and to bring it up again is a good thing. these are handy little suckers

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Has anyone built one for a small greenhouse? If so, how often does it need to be stoked in order to prevent plants from freezing if the overnight temps drop into the teens?

Entropy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
To the OP, your links don't work.

Wouldn't it be better to just use a wood stove with a chimeny? Where does a rocket stove vent?

Entropy

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Entropy1 said:
To the OP, your links don't work.

Wouldn't it be better to just use a wood stove with a chimeny? Where does a rocket stove vent?

Entropy
A rocket stove would have to vent up. They can put off some serious heat and pretty darn fast, too. In an emergency situation, this might be what you'd need or want. There are various designs, but I doubt if any are what your insurance company would want you to have in your home. For most of us here, a regular wood stove is more practical in the house, IMO.

A rocket mass heater can vent sideways as the exhaust is just a little CO2 and steam. That will give you some long term warmth with just a bit of wood. I really want one of these!

Entropy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I sweep the chim for my wood stove twice a year, due to a bit of build up. I watched a few videos on the thermal mass rocket heaters. How on earth would you be able to effectively clean the 'ducting' or chim?

Entropy