Rodeogirls self sufficent ranch Daydream

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so I know I have next to none in experience on being self sufficient especially compared to people on here. But that is why I'm making this thread to put my ideas out there and get advice from those that have more experience. Having said that one of my closest friends (close enough that I consider her my sister) and I are planning on going in to ranching together. This is mostly because we have the same mind set of wanting something better for our families.
so we are planning on buying land and build our own homes this way we can get the homes we want. This is our building plan so far.
upload_2017-7-22_22-46-8.png

with this plan we are thinking that it will allow us to work on our property at the pace we want.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This sounds like a great long term goal :thumbsup Whereabouts are you thinking of buying land?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you have thoughts on keeping warm through a Wyoming winter in a trailer? I would consider some sort of insulation, like straw bales around the bottom to close off the crawl space to make things a bit more comfortable as well as saving a bit on the heating costs.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So there are some things that we want one our property and wont budge on. Some of them may sound odd but they make since to us.
One makes sense especially for this area is multiple energy sources. We are wanting to have at least one windmill and a waterwheel. This is probably one of the biggest things considering that when the power goes out here it can be out for hours and we both have small children. We also want the entire property set up so if anything happens to where the power goes out for good we can still run the ranch just fine.
All the houses will be heated with wood so I'm thinking of making rocket stoves and having them in most of the rooms this way we can heat the rooms that are needed. I also want to see if I can figure out how to efficiently heat water for the shower sinks and such with wood. And speaking about the bathroom I was hoping to have a cedar bathtub considering they hold heat better then a porcelain tub.
In the houses we both love to cook and my friend actually is a baker so large kitchen are a must. As well as large pantries. In my kitchen at least I want a wood burning cook stove (we have one at my family cabin and I love to cook on it). I also want an outdoor kitchen with a pizza oven considering in the summer its already too hot and cooking indoors just doesn't make since

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you have thoughts on keeping warm through a Wyoming winter in a trailer? I would consider some sort of insulation, like straw bales around the bottom to close off the crawl space to make things a bit more comfortable as well as saving a bit on the heating costs.
Thanks for the tip I'll probably do that I'm also thinking of getting a small potbelly wood stove for heat in the trailer