Rooster in bound!!

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I'm getting a license from my city to increase my flock. This is going to include my current three hens which consist of a Barred Plymouth Rock, a blue Americauna, and a golden laced Wyandotte. I've been promised a black copper Maran from a recent hatch. I've also decided to get another hen from the same breed (not necessarily same color) as what I already have and a rooster of that breed. What rooster of those three have you guys had good luck with? I know my local chicken breeder wouldn't intentionally give me a mean roo and if he turned into a mean one she'd take him back.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My ameraucana have always been fairly respectful even if the silver weren't as friendly as some of my wheaten roosters.

Those wheaten ameraucana spoiled me. Then these silkies cemented the spoiling by being people birds.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
City,
So I'm getting a license from my city to increase my flock. This is going to include my current three hens which consist of a Barred Plymouth Rock, a blue Americauna, and a golden laced Wyandotte. I've been promised a black copper Maran from a recent hatch. I've also decided to get another hen from the same breed (not necessarily same color) as what I already have and a rooster of that breed. What rooster of those three have you guys had good luck with? I know my local chicken breeder wouldn't intentionally give me a mean roo and if he turned into a mean one she'd take him back.

You need a chicken licence? Do they drive or something?

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:yuckyuck No but my city is ran by idiots who think farm animals don't belong in town. There is about 5 people tops who have chickens inside city limits. One use to work with me and has a huge flock, when I asked city hall about increasing my flock using them as an example, they blew their top! "you can only have three adult animals of any species without a breeder's license" well come to find out there is no licensing amongst the APA so I need to go to city hall again and ask about getting a license through them I guess. I gotta build a better coop and do some work to the fence before we actually get them. This is all research.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I posted something similar on BYC on Sunday and haven't gotten a response at all, yet here I got multiple responses in less than 24 hours.....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're nice like that;)

I actually have no suggestions because I haven't had any of those breeds. But I did giggle a little about having to have a license for your chickens!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had/have Americauna and Black Copper Maran roo's....both were well mannered and very pretty. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those. :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I find it absurd that you have to go through all this hassle to keep a few chickens :hu A licence?? The people who make those laws and regulations are probably ignorant city folk with no idea about birds or animals…

Though I know a bit about each of the breeds I'm afraid I can't tell you much about what they are like temperament-wise, except that I heard Barred Plymouth Rock roosters can be lovely. With any breed, how the birds are bred plays a part too. The sweetest breed can throw out a difficult rooster as a result of poor breeding practices and culling. If you are getting them from a trusted and reputable breeder, I wouldn't worry too much though.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck No but my city is ran by idiots who think farm animals don't belong in town. There is about 5 people tops who have chickens inside city limits. One use to work with me and has a huge flock, when I asked city hall about increasing my flock using them as an example, they blew their top! "you can only have three adult animals of any species without a breeder's license" well come to find out there is no licensing amongst the APA so I need to go to city hall again and ask about getting a license through them I guess. I gotta build a better coop and do some work to the fence before we actually get them. This is all research.

I'm glad you took it as a joke and not condescending - as a new guy to the site I hesitated before I pushed Post Reply.

I lived in a little town in North Carolina of 300 and that census probably included all dogs and cats. The Mayor lived two houses down from me didn't like the fact that I had 6 chicken hens and went to the board to lobby for a "city" ordnance to prohibit "farm animals" within city limits. Their definition of "Farm Animals" included chickens.

Of course I fought tooth and nail and became an outcast by many of the town residents for fighting city hall. I lost the battle...

It was because of this and things like the city coming in and condemning my well and hooking me up to city water that we could not drink that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

We moved to the country in southern IL, never looked back and "lovin the Homestead' just as my SS profile says :)

I feel for you Hun... We've been there and done that. Grew tired of being subject to the laws, regulations and ordnances of complete F'ing idiots.

I got a few extra roos I could give you.
IMG_20170726_173153697.jpg

Last edited:

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm glad you took it as a joke and not condescending - as a new guy to the site I hesitated before I pushed Post Reply.

I lived in a little town in North Carolina of 300 and that census probably included all dogs and cats. The Mayor lived two houses down from me didn't like the fact that I had 6 chicken hens and went to the board to lobby for a "city" ordnance to prohibit "farm animals" within city limits. Their definition of "Farm Animals" included chickens.

Of course I fought tooth and nail and became an outcast by many of the town residents for fighting city hall. I lost the battle...

It was because of this and things like the city coming in and condemning my well and hooking me up to city water that we could not drink that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

We moved to the country in southern IL, never looked back and "lovin the Homestead' just as my SS profile says :)

I feel for you Hun... We've been there and done that. Grew tired of being subject to the laws, regulations and ordnances of complete F'ing idiots.

I got a few extra roos I could give you.
View attachment 3902

I would love to have one of those beautiful (Orpington?) boys. But we're not set up yet, my fence is kind of in shambles thanks to these crazy wind storms knocking limbs into it and I need to build a better coop. Ours was kinda thrown together because I got chick fever before we were even half way done building it. Right now its raining buckets and I know when I look in the coop tomorrow the walls will be wet from the rain seeping in the cracks. Plus its freaking huge! I made it large enough to house the food and water, which in my now more experienced mind was a mistake, I mean a 7foot long coop for only three chickens? Once everything is figured out and rebuilt we'll actually be ready to get the birds we want.