Root Beer FAILED

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That was an interesting batch of beer! What is Trub? I take that it is the solids at the bottom, but where did it come from?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That was an interesting batch of beer! What is Trub? I take that it is the solids at the bottom, but where did it come from?
Hey Bay good to hear from you

Trub, is a German word meaning “sediment". If your German you pronounce it Tr-oo-b but if your from the south united states you pronounce it just as its spelled trub (rhythm with rub). Trub basically is comprised of dead old aged, inactive or disabled yeasties, also yeast proteins and unfermentables, like larger chunks of what you used to make the wort that made it past the filter when you added it to a fermentation vessel.

Wort is another German word but this word is pronounced the same in both Germany and the United stated. Wort is a sugary solution of plant extracts intended for fermentation by yeast into a alcoholic beverage.

The presence of trub in the bottom of the fermentation vessel, is the visual sign of yeast activity. Assuming the wort was filtered well as it was being added to the fermentation vessel.

Hope that helps... Sorry if its overkill, but defining processes and policies is kind of what I do for a living. I tried to keep it very high level though.

Lately my ads consistent of moonshine stills some good ones and heck of great prices too. But distillation is illegal in Illinois even for your own personal use. Which is dumb but it's the law. I prefer to follow the law so I don't get in trouble.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I decided I'm going to give this exact recipe another whirl. But instead of ginger bug as an inoculant I'm going to pitch Safale US-05 beer yeast. It's supposed to produce a very clean and crisp tasting beverage. It also has an alcohol tolerance of 12%, but I won't give it that much to eat. i'm shooting for somewhere in the high 4 to low 5%. Which is plenty strong enough for me.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the batch failed! Hope the next one will be good.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too bad you can't use your own still for your own consumption. I recently got my hands on some Texas Gourdseed Corn, after 3 years of searching. There is a distillery in Houston that uses the Texas Gourdseed for brewing. Interesting. It is a white meal corn for cornbread and tortillas.

If y'all ever move to Texas, bring a still! LOL LOL