Root Beer

ChickenTender63

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever made home made root beer, and have you had success if you did?

I just finally tapped into the second batch I have made, and both times I have come out with good fermentation and pretty good root beer flavor, except, I have a real yeasty bitter taste to it.

I am wondering if I need to not use the yeast and try the co2 method next time. But then that requires the addition of more equipment and expense.

Let me know if you've ever tried. I would love to be able to figure it out. I love good root beer.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ChickenTender63, I love root beer also. I have never made it tho. Sorry.
I think ginger ale is ok. Kinda weak tho. You cn easily get addicted to certain tastes. There is a pop company called Stewarts. They make the most intense ginger beer. It is wonderful. It is ginger ale - with a kick.

ChickenTender63

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think the yeast is my problem. I used just a regular baking yeast from the grocery store that you would use for baking bread, etc.

I have heard that there is also a liquid type of yeast product out there for this type of application, but I was trying to use what I had on hand instead of ordering something else.

I was really surprised about the amount of carbonation that I had in this root beer. It was fantastic in everything except for the yeasty taste. It was such a dissapointment to say t he least.

Well, back to the drawing board I guess

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ChickenTender63 said:
I think the yeast is my problem. I used just a regular baking yeast from the grocery store that you would use for baking bread, etc.

I have heard that there is also a liquid type of yeast product out there for this type of application, but I was trying to use what I had on hand instead of ordering something else.

I was really surprised about the amount of carbonation that I had in this root beer. It was fantastic in everything except for the yeasty taste. It was such a dissapointment to say t he least.

Well, back to the drawing board I guess
Yes, you should try the champagne yeast, I did not think you could use regular yeast. Sounds like fun though.