rotten gherkins

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
rotten gherkins

Well not really rotten just soft with nary a crunch, I bought two 1 gallon jars of Mt.Olive pickles from walmart and just were not edible to me. They were less than a month old and still vacuumed sealed - all were spongy, these were all the extra large kind about 6" or so. I saved 8 to the fridge and threw about 50 of them into the woods. What animals eat pickles?

In reality I would of never ate them all anyways I just wanted the empty wide mouth glass jars but at $4.50 a pop I would liked better. I don't blame the manufacture as walmart kinda forces them to sell at a margin so slim they have to cut corners or be blacklisted by the largest grocer in the world.

Remember the great pickle fiasco with Vlasic, forcing them to sell 12 pounds for $2.97. actually less because walmart had to get that price.
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Pickles? What pickles? Now that you have two gallon jars....!!!!woohoo!!!!......you can make some fermented dills with cukes and dill from your garden, some mustard seed, peppercorns, garlic, and salt!!!! And time!! Yummo! :drool

YOU HAVE TWO ONE-GALLON JARS!! :woot

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Pickles? What pickles? Now that you have two gallon jars....!!!!woohoo!!!!......you can make some fermented dills with cukes and dill from your garden, some mustard seed, peppercorns, garlic, and salt!!!! And time!! Yummo! :drool

YOU HAVE TWO ONE-GALLON JARS!! :woot
No garden this year too busy trying to finish the house and yard so I can sell.

I wanted the empty jars for somewhat more of a nefarious purpose, and large glassware is hard to find around here.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Are you going to make some moonshine in them? :pop
I would hope you know that is illegal in this country and only a couple worldwide allow it like Australia. Wifezilla did turn me on to some mead recipes which you can make 200 gallons a year of legally but found 3 old gallon syrup jugs at a flea market for that.

I have 30 gallons fermenting right now with 20 more gallons waiting to be run and oaked. Mason jars don't work like in the movies as they don't seal unless heat vacuumed.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:sick squishy pickles are gross. My hubby buys pickled garlic, and every now and then we get a jar that are soft - so gross. But the crunchy ones are to die for! :ya

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:sick squishy pickles are gross. My hubby buys pickled garlic, and every now and then we get a jar that are soft - so gross. But the crunchy ones are to die for! :ya
I've never had pickled garlic, people in northern Wisconsin taverns would eat anything as long as it was pickled. Herring, eggs, pigs feet, fowl offal like gizzards and glands, you name it as long as it was in a jar of brine those drunkards would gobble it up like deep fried turkey wattle. Myself I never touched those and leaned towards the pretzels and crispy hog rendered smelt fry.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
xpc said:
Wildsky said:
I've never had pickled garlic, people in northern Wisconsin taverns would eat anything as long as it was pickled. Herring, eggs, pigs feet, fowl offal like gizzards and glands, you name it as long as it was in a jar of brine those drunkards would gobble it up like deep fried turkey wattle. Myself I never touched those and leaned towards the pretzels and crispy hog rendered smelt fry.
:sick

BUT pickled garlic is the best, I like it in a salad, hubby just pops them straight from the jar! We sometimes have them on the side of a nice juicy steak or something like that.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
xpc said:
rotten gherkins

Well not really rotten just soft with nary a crunch, I bought two 1 gallon jars of Mt.Olive pickles from walmart and just were not edible to me. They were less than a month old and still vacuumed sealed - all were spongy, these were all the extra large kind about 6" or so. I saved 8 to the fridge and threw about 50 of them into the woods. What animals eat pickles? Hogs! first of all a pickling cucumber(different from slicing cucumber, pickling cukes usually have spines and warts) of that size is likely to be soft to start with Slice one length wise and you will find empty spaces between seeds areas. Anything beyond 4 inches (actually depends on width not length) the farmer is paid much less for because they can only be used in chopped products by a pickle producer. 2nd in the USA a gherkin is up to about 1-1/2 in length and top price are paid for them because they produce superior pickles. The larger Jumbos (about 8 inches) or any that have started to ripen (cukes as we know them are the inmature fruit, when ripe the seeds get big and harden) These are sold by the truck load or given away by the packer for animal feed usually Hogs and/or chickens. I would never buy pickles of the size mentioned since they are almost always of low quality, not completely pickled all the way through either by the vinegar method or true fermentation. (worked as a box boy in a cuke grading/sorting intake station as a teenager) ~gd

In reality I would of never ate them all anyways I just wanted the empty wide mouth glass jars but at $4.50 a pop I would liked better. I don't blame the manufacture as walmart kinda forces them to sell at a margin so slim they have to cut corners or be blacklisted by the largest grocer in the world.

Remember the great pickle fiasco with Vlasic, forcing them to sell 12 pounds for $2.97. actually less because walmart had to get that price.
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Thanks for the pickle lesson, though a bit more than I needed to know it was well received. Unlike a day 30 and some odd years ago when working at a pea packing plant a horn went off and all the people scrambled as if it was an air raid, I asked what was going on? a crumpled up old black man said "boy we're changing from #1 peas to #2 peas"

I riddled him for the difference and got an hour long lecture ending with the statement "boy (he always called me boy) iff'n yous hang around here long enough you finna gonna knows everything about peas" That was my first and last day at that job and even though my only task was to stack those peas 20 skids high with a forklift I have never eaten them again, the green giant is my nightmare.

Actually all the name brand peas were my nightmare as we never stopped the flow of peas into the cans but only changed the labels while on the fly. And people actually pay more for one brand name over the other - we never did generics or store brand and don't remember if they were around in the 70's.