rty007.....needs our help.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was talking to him on FB, he is wanting to start a page, listing factual procedures on being SS. Like...start to finish, cleaning a chicken, deer, cow...etc. Maybe some of us can come up with a few ideas??? l kind of compendium of all the sister sites.
about raising animals, growing food, saving money, artisan arts and all. Something that will be user friendly...easy to access info. Anyone interested??

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
That's a good idea. Instructions for all the stuff we post about, and then lose amongst all the conversation and repeat threads. I'd love to have a website that just had, straight up, a list of things to do and how they're done.
That was his thoughts as well. There is so much helpful info here, just hard to find it. Lost in conversations.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Neko-chan said:
That's a good idea. Instructions for all the stuff we post about, and then lose amongst all the conversation and repeat threads. I'd love to have a website that just had, straight up, a list of things to do and how they're done.
That was his thoughts as well. There is so much helpful info here, just hard to find it. Lost in conversations.
:thumbsup

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Hmm, we can do a moose processing thread! It would be basically the same as processing a cow or smaller ruminant.
DH used to work as a professional butcher/processor.
Will need to wait till next year, as season is over.
But possible we will still get a fat bear before snow flies.

Too bad this did not come up yesterday. We just processed a bunch of chickens!

I did a thread on how to wrap meat some months ago.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hope to have it set up before monday ready for the articles.

I thought about a small donation for the server, and all but then decided that posting ads and asking you all folks to click them from time to time would be enough.

SO, who can write what? I want to be a vast compendium covering lots off topics:

- Basic information on raising/feeding/living requirements and so on of a animal(put whatever animal you can think of here)
- A database of diseases of a animal (again....)
Couse How often there is a question like omigosh omgosh, what is that... and a photo of a goat butt or whatever
- Processing your meats
- Growing your food
- preserving your harvest with recipes sorted by the produce..
"I have a huge load of that vegie(whatever)" and there would a list of ways to preserve it
- a little tad about pressure canners
- ways to save money / roll your own soap and whatever else.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I will try to participate with as much chicken know-how that I can.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wwas just considering, how to divide it all up, I was thinking about going with categories such as listed below:

- Raising meat
-> Raising chickens
-> Raising rabbits
-> raising pigs
-> Raising sheep
-> Raising goats
-> Raising cows
Every item would have a long, long lecture from start to finish of how to raise, what to feed, how can you substitute store bought feed with home grown feed, some basic race information, to kow which to pick, basic diseases information, butchering process.

- Growing food (need help on subcategories for that one)
-> field
that would include those crops that are grown on fields rather then small gardens, corn, wheat and so on it would have some basic links to recipes that would be gathered in another place
-> garden
-> greenhouse
maybe hydroponics and aquaponics here? But to be honest, I really dunno how to make that thing work.

-Saving money
->roll your own
->natural remedies
->alternative power/heat sources

-Cooking
Here would be a huge list of thing, and ways to use/preserve them.

But I am more then open to suggestions, got any more ideas? go ahead and add to the list

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can contribute and give step by step directions for crop surgery and a leg prosthesis for chickens :rolleyes: and lots of horsey knowledge. Let me know when you are ready and I can send you the info. :p

Latest posts