Run your clothes dryer on free energy

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it's very creative....

but why not just hang them out if it's going to be done that way?

I'm not being arguementative, just curious. Am I being thick?

There doesn't seem to be any benefit that I can think off...and you'd still be using the electricity to turn the drum.

??

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It ust uses a lot LESS electricity and ya still get to be lazy and toss them in the dryer :lol: I think it would be a good building block for those hesitant to go full out clothes line :hu It is very inventive :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
It ust uses a lot LESS electricity and ya still get to be lazy and toss them in the dryer :lol: I think it would be a good building block for those hesitant to go full out clothes line :hu It is very inventive :)
We have a clothesline for most of our stuff.........

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
There doesn't seem to be any benefit that I can think off...and you'd still be using the electricity to turn the drum.
The electric heating element uses the majority of the power consumed by a dryer, so this is a good improvement.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is a great idea. I line dry all summer, but resort to dryer usage when it's very wet outside.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I think you're right WFB. It would be great for people who live in an area with an HOA and are not allowed to have clothes lines. Good point! ..and there is that laziness factor LOL. I admit to throwing a couple loads in the dryer when I couldn't summon up the energy to go hang them. Then I feel bad and try to make up for using all that electricity LOL.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here in Virginia it's just too humid to dry things outside. The clothes take a few days, and even on really hot days, they end up smelling like a swamp. None of the nice, clean, sun-dried smell...the last time I tried drying clothes outside on a line, my kids came to me complaining that their "clean" clothes smelled like damp gym socks. Seriously, it was that bad. Not to mention my homeowners are rabid about laundry lines. Grrrr....