[S] Buckskin

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a few pieces of buckskin we are trying to get sold that came from this past year's deer hunt- not sure if there would be interest but can't hurt to try. I have not yet smoked them, but the hard work has already been done and they're tanned up and ready to go. $80 a piece, includes postage. I'm holding on to a few pieces for some crafts so I have 5 I am willing to let go of.

IMG_4132.jpg

NOTE: I've called around to all 50 states for permission in regards to selling hides.

We CANNOT sell this in the following states due to lack of permission to this date or due to laws: Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that's awesome! I'd love to learn how to do that. I waste probably 4 hides a year, too lazy to do anything with it

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter - They're pretty easy to work with, I'm not that experienced but I've made a messanger-style bag and a buckskin stocking. I've made some deer hide hand muffs and arrow quivers too. I want to try making some center seam moccasins from this year's haul.

@Chic Rustler - Highly recommend tanning to everyone! Great and useful hobby to get into. If you burn alot of firewood, you can save the fine white ash to dehair (you'll need quite a bit). I always recommend The Ultimate Guide to Skinning and Tanning by Monte Burch.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Should've updated to say that I still have about 3 pieces left that are now smoked. I've used alot of the rest of it for various projects including a new bag (see photos for some stuff made this year with this buckskin). If anyone is interested in them - let me know anytime.

il_794xN.2285587545_4b15.jpg IMG_5903.jpgil_794xN.2404527520_nz96.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
how thick is your buckskin when you are finished making it?
Would it be thin enough for making bookmarks out of?

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@wyoDreamer - They have different thicknesses across the hide but it's nowhere as thick as cow hide. The areas around the back and neck of the hide are thickest, and the belly region is the thin part. The belly would be the thinnest part you could get. With it being smoked, however, it may leave a stain to it if you put it between pages. I may still have some un-smoked hide put up