Sabotage! Was it planned ...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
... or subconscious? Or maybe completely coincidental?

It was a nice day here today so DH said this morning: "Why don't we go for a drive? It would be good to get out of the house, and we could stop for lunch at K--- Winery." Knowing that I am working at losing some weight he added: "They will surely have a salad or something that you can eat." I should maybe mention that K--- winery has a very nice restaurant; Its a place to take out of town guests one wants to impress ;)
I had a few things that I wanted to do today, but none of them urgent, so I agreed that it might be fun (though I was a little ambivalent about lunch). It was indeed a nice day, and a nice drive (Oregon in Springtime is really very pretty), and lunch was good. They did have choices that I could eat without totally blowing the diet, and I enjoyed what I had very much. However ... restaurants are, generally, multiple choice; and while I enjoyed what I had, there were several choices that I most likely would have enjoyed even more. And it was hard avoiding the freshly baked bread (one of my weaknesses). And, while I am not a big desert fan, I do adore a good creme brulee ... and the one that DH ordered did look tempting :rolleyes:.
So I really wonder if DH subconsciously, or perhaps even more overtly, has a problem when I try to get a handle on my weight issues. He also could stand to lose some weight (more than me, truth be told), but isn't trying at the moment. So, was it sabotage? :lol:

--- Taking my tongue out of my cheek now, and being quite serious, I have found over the last week or so that I do not seem to crave the carbohydrates I have been avoiding to any great extent anymore. Perhaps my blood sugar is on an even keel now. So, although I really, really love good fresh bread it was really OK that I didn't eat any. I ate the charcuterie (cured meats) appetizer without the bread, and that was just fine. I just didn't look at the bread ;). And I gave the potatoes, from the main course, to DH; that was his own fault for leading me into temptation :lol: And, though the waitress brought an extra spoon "just in case", I enjoyed my coffee and only salivated a little over DH's creme brulee.
You know something? I may just be able to finally win at this weight loss game ;)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are reasons to believe that even a loved one could subconsciously attempt to sabotage your efforts at losing weight. If he starts bringing home sweets he knows you like, it may be time to have a little talk with him! I applaud you for resisting the carbs. It does get easier to resist the carbs after doing without for a while. Lots of people swear that carbs are addicting. The more you eat, the more (and more often) you want.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good for you for sticking to your plan, AND enjoying your day!

It can be tough to not suspect subterfuge, but I'm betting that even if it was there, it was unconscious. He probably just wanted a nice day out with you :)

But if he does it again...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd say it was probably SUBconscious, but if he does it again knock him UNconscious :smack I'm just kidding, but being a "fat kid" myself at times, it IS hard, and when someone just flaunts the yummy stuff in your face sometimes you just can't hardly hold it together!! My DH seems to love doing that too, and R, and DD, and....yeah well, you know how it goes :/ Good for you for sticking to it and doing the right thing for yourself! :woot

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so lucky said:
There are reasons to believe that even a loved one could subconsciously attempt to sabotage your efforts at losing weight. If he starts bringing home sweets he knows you like, it may be time to have a little talk with him! I applaud you for resisting the carbs. It does get easier to resist the carbs after doing without for a while. Lots of people swear that carbs are addicting. The more you eat, the more (and more often) you want.
That's the truth! DH still does that. The talk never helped in this household, hopefully it will at yours. ;)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Kudos to you for resisting. The more you resist the easier it becomes. I don't need to lose weight (well, I gained a few pounds and now I'm annoyed the pants don't fit quite right anymore!) but I don't really want to eat the sweets or processed carbs anymore. Its hard to resist, but I have found the less I eat them the less I need them.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sadly, I'm going into temptation yet again today. Not DH's fault this time, but a gathering I can't get out of <sigh>. I shall consider yesterday to be training for today :p
As positive reinforcement ... the scale showed that I did well yesterday :woot

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My DH is a candy-holic. And if he brings me chocolate while he pigs out on his sweets, then that makes it ok because I am joining him in the candy feasting. I have begged him to stop. He knows I cannot resist chocolate, so it continues......... :he

One time I had the last laugh. He brought home bags of crap for him and chocolate for me. I asked him if the chocolate was mine. Yes. Really mine? (proud of himself) YES! I unwrapped it......looked yummy.......then up and running with chocolate in hand. I rubbed it in the bottom of the baby chicks cage I had in the utility room and threw the chocolate in the trash! :gig

DH freaked out and protested loudly. Yeah! Go dig it out of the trash NOW!!! haha

I won THAT round in the Battle of the Bulge!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:th you DIDN'T!!! Wow...I wish I could have chocolate, and you and your DH are just abusing it... :hit Ungrateful people!!! :rant :p :lol: