Sad... so sad

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If no one else will say it, I will... I cried yesterday about what happened in Florida. My heart is still broken - how could something like this continue to happen over and over again and again?

Now the question is what will we as a country do about it? So many things are wrong on so many levels.. But damn it! these are kids - our children, our future. Protecting our children, needs to be ---> THE <--- top priority!

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Without in any way being facetious, I can understand why many parents choose to home-school. How utterly unbelievable to kiss your child goodbye in the morning and say, "Have a good day, dear," and then find out you sent him/her to a school shooting to get injured or killed.

I can't wrap my mind around the sheer number of shootings since I grew up in a time when teachers were authority figures and respected for maintaining discipline in an atmosphere of learning.

I have no answers but I think armed guards are almost a necessity.

I don't have the link just now but I read something today that said almost every school shooter was on some kind of psychotropic drug regimen. That's not necessarily a cause-and-effect but it's worth investigating thoroughly for unknown side effects.

My heart is also very heavy tonight -- especially after looking at the bright smiling faces of the victims. How senseless and outrageous their loss is to us all.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are many reasons I homeschool. This is one of them.

This particular case is infuriating because the kids in school knew he was dangerous, the school knew he was dangerous, even the FBI had been warned. But... He still did it.

I don't want to get too political because I don't want to offend anyone but I firmly believe that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. I just renewed my concealed carry permit. My kids will be safe.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You know, even though they live in a MUCH more dangerous environment, very few schoolchildren in Israel get hurt: because EVERY teacher is required to have a gun at all times. Why, why, why do the PTB (Powers That Be) insist that the way to keep our children (and everyone else) safe is to strip them of any ability to defend themselves?

If I were the parent of a school-aged child today, I would insist on homeschooling my child... even if it meant living at a lower level by being single income. Surely your children are more important than the ability to buy a plasma tv.

I'll get off my soap box now. I know it's not that simple, but there MUST be a solution.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I came from a country where violent crime is common, but these school shootings really shock me. I don't understand how and why a person can do something like that? And I cannot imagine how the parents feel, the ones that had kids in those affected schools and the rest, worrying about sending their kids to school and their safety. It's heartbreaking.

Dani4Hedgies

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This too shocks me as someone who just graduated in '98 and NO ONE I went to school with would have dreamed to do this yet in the 20 years since this has become a "thing" I just don't get it. What has changed so fundamentally in our world that kids now think this is the thing to do??? What or how do we correct this failure in our teaching of our kids to stop this from happening? We pulled our kiddo out of public school a couple years ago due to the school not meting her needs but now I am so thrilled knowing that everyday when I come to work she is home safe at home doing online school.

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some areas are pushing for teachers to be allowed to carry guns. The BEST line of defense is allowing those on the front line between our kids and the bad guy to have a weapon. Look at the teachers who died shielding kids with their bodies in Florida. Tell me that one of them being armed wouldn't have given the outcome at least a lesser number of fatalities?

I will stop now.