Salmon Farming and Sick Fish

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
But it wont make people sick. Honest! The FDA said so! :th

"Andrea Kavanagh, manager of the Salmon Aquaculture Reform Campaign, a nonprofit affiliated with the Pew Environment Group in Washington, said more government involvement is needed. "Pew has been concerned about the use of pesticides and chemicals in salmon, and we've been prodding the FDA to do more testing." Pew Environment Group is dedicated to improving worldwide conditions for raising salmon.

The group sued the FDA for documents of the agency's recent inspections of Chilean salmon and found that Chile was using medications and chemicals to raise its salmon that are not approved for use in either the United States or Europe, she said.

"This is an aquaculture industry issue, not a public health issue," countered Gavin Gibbons, a spokesperson for the National Fisheries Institute, a nonprofit organization dedicated to education about seafood safety, sustainability, and nutrition. "Farmed salmon is safe."

Registered dietitian Ann Cain said that may be true, but consumers will likely stop eating farmed salmon. "There's such a mistrust of the food safety regulations that, in general, people are skeptical," said Cain, a senior editor at myrecipes.com."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/18/salmon.disease/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yeah. and people wonder why i wont eat the seafood in the middle of the county. um.. farmed just isnt a great idea.

:-(

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
No animal raised for food should be raised in conditions that require it to live in its own waste, need antibiotics to survive to the table, or have a life of pure misery. Fish, cows, pigs, chickens- none of them.

Of course the organization that oversees fish farming is going to try to convince us it is safe to eat. :he

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Any newish updates concerning salmon farming...? My local King Kullen supermarket pretty much only sells imported from china/thialand farmed fish/shrimp..I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll...! Even Canadian and USA farmed salmon in the northeast is cause for concern with health issues. I like salmon, but am leary of farm raised.Thankfully, i'm still connected to local fisherman and still enjoy fresh caught wild stocks.There are no wild salmon in my area, so i eat local caught stuff..

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
I like salmon, but am leary of farm raised.
If you like it in smushed-up form for salmon cakes, pasta, etcetera, it is worth considering canned salmon, some forms are wild caught, I used to remember but now all the labels in our store say "wild caught" on that kind so I have apparently let the actual type of salmon slip from memory. I want to say pink or sockeye? Look it up or check the labels.

Mmmmm, salmon cakes :) Also is good: salmon and veggies in a coconut-milk-based green curry sauce, plain or with noodles mixed in.

Now I'm hungry again :p

Pat

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I see alot of pink canned salmon on my local supermarket shelves, Pat...I think its mostly from Alaska..A we all know,nothing beats fresh as far as fish and veggies go, but i have a few cans for salmon cakes...hmmmm...i smell salmon cakes in the near future...!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think fish farming COULD provide some good healthy fish, BUT...

1) They keep trying to cram way to many fish in to too small of an area.
2) They do not feed biologically appropriate food. The same garbage food (corn and soy based) that is being fed to cows and pigs is being fed to salmon.
3) The inappropriate food and crowded conditions necessitate all those chemicals and antibiotics we would rather not have in our food supply.

I have been looking in to raising some myself. I have enough space now.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
What are you thinking of Wifezilla..? Talapia...They are tough fish, can take brackish water.n Israel they grow huge ones in the desert...! Aquaponics...? A closed system for plants and fish.I believe Talapia is the most widely farmed fish around the world, for its hardiness and fast growth rate.Not to mention a great protein source..I've been reading about farming Redclaws, a big Australian crawfish/yabbie....They are pretty big for that sort of critter,kinda like mini lobsters...yum...