Samaritian Ministries--Health Sharing Coverage

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
http://samaritanministries.org/

Does anyone have this or ever use this type of 'insurance' (even tho IT IS NOT insurance)?

it is Christian sharing medical coverage.

the rates are very reasonable. Family would be $355 per month for up to $250,000 coverage and to be covered for NO LIMIT would be additional $266 (if I remember right) per month. SO for $566 (from memory on pay chart), that means I could have total NO LIMIT coverage.

but I haven't heard of this before so can anyone enlighten me on this concept and way of coverage???? thanks

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
basically it sounds like an HSA type account. Jamie is the insurance brainiac, and may be able to help you when he comes on line tonight.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well when I read thru it you can go to any doctor. there is no guidelines on that. AND as the med bills come in you just submit a 'Needs form' and basically MEMBERS send checks directly to you.

crazy huh. I guess a HSA where you don't need it all in the bank.

So if Mrs. Jones had a fall and broke her ankle and it cost $7,000 to fix it, when the bills come in she sends them to Samaritian. They review the bills, then publish it in a newsletter and 'assign' X number of members to send 'their monthly cost' directly to her. AND you can send more if wanted. BUT they tell X number of members to send to her and it should then total $7K. and you send get well cards and prayer blessings and more. Anything under $300 is not covered. I think it said 3 times per year...then it is covered. (can't remember all the facts I just read LOL)

I just never heard of this at all.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess I'm too negative for something like this :p The minute I read that you A) have to wait for other members to send you money (rely on their honesty) and B) have your address published in the newsletter, so 20,000 people not only know my business, but know where I live; I said Ummm...NO. I am not that trusting of others. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea it said 21,000 families are involved and they have assets of $4 million.

reading the testimonals was intersting.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That sounds sort of like a pyramid scheme, but not exactly. I would fear that if too many people had claims at the same time, there would be no one to pay.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Assets of 4 million just means what is set aside, not what is in coming in the next month...right? It actually sounds pretty nice, but also sounds like they could go broke at any time too. :hu

Latest posts