Scenario

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Alright let's say some disaster happens. You've been smart and stocking up on supplies for months before hand, but you live in an area where there are thousands of people who didn't. These people know there are farms out in the country and are starting to get very hungry. How would you protect what you have from someone else taking it?

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lol yahhh thatd definatly have some effect.. :lol:

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
bury it where no one knows but you
Or buy yourself a camp that is at least 100 miles from any city on an acreage and pack your truck to go there if things gets bad

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
can easily hide things on the property

guns definitely to defend the animals etc.

if it came to that and I truly had nothing to share anymore, and I "got stormed"--yup people would be shot. And with the type of farmers I hang with, our little band would be an army so it would be hard to get thru us...LOL

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmerchick, its nice that you'd share up to a point.

I think the only thing I would share is those pickles i "inherited" from grandmother... they were done in 1997. :p

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't. If it comes to armed gangs roaming the countryside, I would probably end up feeding the buzzards fairly promptly. Which is fine with me.

In general, though, you have exactly two alternatives:

--lay in MASSIVE supplies of ammunition, build seriously strong defenses, and plan to give up all possibility of sleep and stomach lining for the rest of your life in order to live in eternal paranoid vigilance. Fortunately the rest of your life will probably not be all THAT long, since there will always be somebody/ies better armed (or even just more awake) than you are, game over.

--band together with LOTS of likeminded people, probably with a *certain* amount of munitions and a *certain* amount of defensive structures, which will spread the vigilance load over more people and (unless and until the order of the group starts to break down) enable more efficient ways of doing things, and also reduce the likelihood of getting overrun/killed/everything taken.

By "likeminded" I do not necessarily mean "rabid paranoids wanting to shoot everything that moves". When the chips are down, usually the groups of people that survive the best are the ones that know how to get along with each other and deal constructively with other groups that may confront them. Constructively usually does not mean 'hail of bullets', if you look at history ;)

JMHO,

Pat

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
....I know I have no like minded people around me who are even interested in preparing...they are too busy watching thier stocks flush...and most people around here who would prepare wouldn't tell thier neighbors because then they would be sought after for cling ons if something did go wrong

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea RTR---having a farm with produce in fields and such and alot of animals I would share....if someone could not find food I would help...but it would only be up to a certain point. I sure wouldn't let someone eat my last breeding pairs of animals and such...LOL---if I did then there would be no more!

Of course being a huge "what if" in the scenario, who knows right?

But in the end, oh yea, I would defend if necessary....most people would if they could. Survival is instinct etc. We all want to survive.

And nope, not trading any veggies for those pickles! HA HA HA

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ahhh come on I dare you to eat one ;)
I don't even know how to move them out of the house, I'm quite afraid to touch them and then disposing of them... ughh not an off day im looking forward too..

yahhh I like what if scenarios though, weird fascination with them and just wanted some opinions. So thanks to the responses :)

Latest posts