School of Natural Healing

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just finished up the Family Herbalist program from the School of Natural Healing. It was born out of Dr. Christopher's teachings. It's an online course, really easy, and they have it on sale right now for $100. I got sooo much out of this and would recommend it to everyone interested in a more natural approach to health and remedies. If you sign up, you get 3 months to complete it and it's mostly reading/listening and filling out an online study guide with a few simple quizzes and a test.
I liked it so much I'm going to continue through and do the master herbalist program.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it later. will you be able to help others when completed, or is it just for personal use?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
By help others, do you mean treat like a doctor would treat? In that case, no. This course is designed for personal use to take care of yourself and family. It gave me the confidence to do some treatment on my own, for colds, earaches, simple first aid and such; and it deals with alot of preventative maintenance through diet. Now, I don't fully agree with all of their diet beliefs - basically no animal products at all, but I can see where they are coming from. It teaches why herbals are good for the body and how they can be used without side effects you might get from allopathic drugs. Really interesting stuff.
The master herbalist certification you would be able to use in a professional way, but the laws vary from state to state.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I've been checking out this website lately.

http://www.herbmentor.com/articles/20071003_2

I think I signed up for a newletter, and was able to download a free home remedy course. It is an adobe file, and since i am computer illiterate, I don;t know how to post that here, but this is the website link. i have always been interested in looking at the abundance of natural plant remedies that can help us.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oooohhh, that looks like some good reading! Thanks.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Javamama, I was looking into that last year, and I really want to take it, as well as the master herbalist course. I think total it is all about $5,000 if I remember right. Anyway, I haven't take it yet because it said that I need to be 18. :/

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aw, that stinks Amos. They do offer scholarships, so maybe you can check into that once you turn 18. The family herbalist course was so informative and really easy to finish. Maybe you could call them and see if they will waive the age requirement. I took college classes during my Jr. and Sr. years of high school, but it was a state program.

rowdysunsetart

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If your like me and did not have the money to go thru a course you can get the book; Herbally Yours by Penny C. Royal who almost died of cancer and wrote the best laymens terms it cost about $7.00 and worth its weight in gold!!! I have used it for over 35 years and have never found a book that was easier and more efficient though I have read several!:D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'll have to look into that book, thanks!

Have you gotten any other books to suggest for knowledge hungry people like me?