SCORE!

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found Putting Food By at a second hand book store for $1.50!!! :woot

I really wanted this book and had been putting off buying it.

What should expect to pay for supplies such as jars, lids and screwbands??

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Congrats! :)

I don't know about where you are, but I pay about $1.69 for a twelve-pack of lids (just the nonreusable part, not the screwbands - you can also buy them with screwbands, it's a couple bucks more) and if you buy jars new (they come with screwbands and lids) it's usually in the vicinity of $1/jar, slight adjustment depending on jar size.

If you have not canned before, I would seriously suggest reading closely a more up-to-date reference before starting. State extension service websites, the Ball Blue Book, something that takes into account things that have been learned about canning in the last 40 years or whatever it is since the copyright of your edition ;)

Once you know more about the reasons for doing various things, and the relative risks (large or small) of doing 'em in suboptimal ways, you can make your own decisions about how much you wish to follow older recipes.

I would really recommend starting with something fairly easy, modern and low-risk, til you get the basic mechanics of canning down and have absorbed more of the technical rationale.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On Our own said:
I found Putting Food By at a second hand book store for $1.50!!! :woot

I really wanted this book and had been putting off buying it.
:clap