Scored a free wood & glass patio double door set!

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these two doors yet. I scored them from freecycle this morning. Solid wood and heavy duty glass. I don't need them for the house, and my first thought is to save them for a garden shed or greenhouse. There are all kinds of possibilities! The people who gave them away replaced them with metal french doors. I'm happy to get them, but people are so wasteful...the ones they took out and gave me are better quality than their replacements. The couple giving them away were really nice, but different from the self-sufficient lifestyle. As we talked with them, the husband talked about cutting down two of his fruit trees and banana plants because he didn't want to mow around them! One family's trash...another family's treasure!

Jill

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cut down fruit and bananna trees? That's sacrilage!! Idiot.

Great score on the double doors. I am sure you and DH will come up with a good use for them!

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
baymule said:

Great score on the double doors. I am sure you and DH will come up with a good use for them!
Not just any fruit trees...he wants to cut down their two MAYHAW trees! The wife might be able to keep him reined in on those, but he told us he'd already cut down their bananas to increase the size of their driveway to accomodate their fishing boat! She mentioned she had muscadine grapes, but I think he's getting rid of those, too! Unbelievable!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, I know people like that, too. They drive me nuts.

Good score on the doors! Let me know what you figure out to do with them. I also have some glass patio doors that I scrounged. One is a new set, no frame (that's not a big deal around here). We were planning on using them on a future project, but I'm not sure our respective health will hang on long enough for that! LOL The other doors are for some cool project, yet to be discovered.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Good score! As for the people giving them away, :th

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
txcanoegirl said:
baymule said:

Not just any fruit trees...he wants to cut down their two MAYHAW trees! The wife might be able to keep him reined in on those, but he told us he'd already cut down their bananas to increase the size of their driveway to accomodate their fishing boat! She mentioned she had muscadine grapes, but I think he's getting rid of those, too! Unbelievable!
Get a rope.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
To hang them, or pull the trees up and hope to replant them? :D

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Solid score. I like the idea of the greenhouse door for the glass one. As for the solid one I have seen some pretty nice workbenches made from wooden doors. I am guessing that the glass one could be a the basis for a cold frame as well.

As for the fruit trees being cut down what is wrong with people?

Brew

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BrewCrew said:
Solid score. I like the idea of the greenhouse door for the glass one. As for the solid one I have seen some pretty nice workbenches made from wooden doors. I am guessing that the glass one could be a the basis for a cold frame as well.

As for the fruit trees being cut down what is wrong with people?

Brew
Both doors in the set are glass, framed by wood. I said "solid wood and glass" to differeniate between "real" wood vs hollow core or metal doors! I have them carefully stored until I can get to something with them.

It's amazing to me what people throw away. I live in a 1913 farmhouse, which was built by my great-grandparents. In the late 50's or early 60's, my grandmother "modernized" the house, and among other things, she had the solid wood 4-panel interior doors removed, and replaced them with hollow core doors. The solid old-growth lumber doors were thrown away. My mother and father "rescued" the doors and stored them in the barn. I have since rescued them from the barn and have replaced most of them back where they belong. The ones that haven't been replaced just haven't been restored yet.

Jill