Seasons & Social Life

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Just wanted to bounce this one off all of you who seem to agree that there are never enough hours in the day . . .

It seems to me that people, in general, are more social during the spring/summer and about this time of year social interaction (save holidays, etc.) drops off abruptly. Am I the only one who notices this?

It frustrates me, because I am so busy in the spring with new ducklings, seedlings, etc. and then all summer I am just trying to keep the garden going and then fall is time to harvest and try to preserve everything and before you know it, it is almost winter and everyone seems to go into shut-down mode. :/

Seems to me that in pioneer days people rarely got together outside of say church, until the harvest was in or if there needed to be a barn-raising, etc. Just my observations.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
You could be right about that. I know around here spring, summer, and harvesting is the busiest for us. Winter months not much going on, tend to stay in the house as much as possible other than going out to feed the animals and repairing something that needs it.

Now my DH is outside cold or warm, rain or shine. He hates to be indoors.

Actually, nows the time when I have time to visit with people LOLOL Holiday time, I'd rather they leave me alone until I have all the baking done!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
people tend to hibernate in the cold weather...the house is the warmest place...LOL...not much chatting over the fence in howling bitter winds and 4 ft of snow.

I know what you mean. When everyone is enjoying the spring in their own way, I am planting, harvesting, tending animals with babies as usual. They get social, I get busy.

In winter, like Jan and Feb are my shut down months (well kinda..lol) and then where are the people. Shut in their homes. But that is cool, cause I ain't much on social anyway..LOL

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Now my DH is outside cold or warm, rain or shine. He hates to be indoors.

Holiday time, I'd rather they leave me alone until I have all the baking done!
Yeah, the holidays tend to have an overshadowing effect on one's social life. And then after New Years it just gets very quiet it seems. Not that I mind the down time. ;)

Here we don't get very severe weather in the winter, so I can't say people avoid going out because of that.

My husband is exactly the same! I think the only time I've ever seen him avoiding being outdoors was during a thunderstorm in the middle of the summer.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
LOL...not much chatting over the fence in howling bitter winds and 4 ft of snow.
That's a funny image! LOL

We get pretty mild weather here though, so I can't say it explains the phenomenon away entirely on my side of the fence. ;)

FarmerChick said:
When everyone is enjoying the spring in their own way, I am planting, harvesting, tending animals with babies as usual. They get social, I get busy.
EXACTLY!!! :)

FarmerChick said:
But that is cool, cause I ain't much on social anyway..LOL
Nor I. It just frustrates me because I try to do my social obligation bit, but find other people's schedules a bit demanding. ;) Then there is a lack of enthusiasm right when I actually have the time to set aside. :p